RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the FCC ID code for my second key fob. It is a 7 digit code.
But my primary key fob decal has been removed from the back of its fob. I have read that the code might be on the actual PCB board inside. Without cutting my FOB open does anyone know if this is true for the 02 P38 NAS? I’m looking at buying a Nanocom to add a third and fourth key fob as backups. My local dealership tells me that they are no longer available. I’d just like to plan ahead for the future. The Hawkeye can Program key fobs and I think the Faultmate can as well. Please clarify if you know. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Nothing can program P38 fobs. They're set by Huf in the factory and that's it!
Nano Evo can't add/ program P38 keys/ fobs. Hawkeye can't program keys/ fobs.
Only way to get new or additional fobs is Main Dealer. Still available in UK and there were posts on here recently where people bought them in US.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
If your BeCM is unlocked, or you have access to something that can unlock it, it is possible to use the fobs from a different car by reprogramming the lockset barcode to match the fobs. However, first you need to find out what the lockset barcode is on the replacement fobs. Then you would need to swap the key blade from your old keys to the new ones so they fit the locks. The FCC ID won't help as it is a generic number allocated by the FCC to a transmitter, so will be the same for all P38 fobs.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,174 Posts
Also, I feel it should be noted...

You cannot mix and match fobs from different vehicles - the fob code that is stored in the BECM is an ID number of Key #1. Each vehicle has a lockset, which is the door lock, ignition barrel, glove box lock, and up to 4 fobs - #1 to #4.

The BECM is programmed with the ID of Key #1 in a particular lockset, and then when receiving a transmission, it will accept that ID, and the 3 consecutive ID's (of Key #2 thru #4).

The 3 fob codes are all parts of the Key #1 ID, rather than ID's for different keys, so using a lockset from another vehicle means having to a) get the fobs from that lockset, b) find out the fob codes from that lockset - either as Richard_G says, by getting the lockset barcode and getting that exchanged to the fob codes, or reading the original BECM from that lockset to retrieve the codes. In the UK, I have a fob checker, which reads/decodes the ID that the fob is transmitting. I use it for checking/cross referencing to make sure the fob I have matches the BECM when people send me bits like that for servicing - but it's also been useful for ID'ing the box or random key fobs I have!

So as far as adding a Key #3 and/or Key #4 - unless you can find an existing lockset with 4 keys, and have the fob code to reprogram the BECM, it isn't possible to do by mixing and matching extra fobs from other locksets - as OB says, they are programmed at the factory, which is where the ID is written to the chip (it's also only One Time Programmable, so you can't even change the ID later to make an existing fob a Key #3/4 etc in another lockset).

I hope this explains a bit about how the system works, and clears up some of the mystery surrounding P38 keys and why they can't just be programmed to another vehicle.

It's the reason why it's been said for years, that no matter what someone on one of the online auction sites says about buying second hand fobs and having them reprogrammed to the vehicle isn't true... You can't reprogram the fob - you would have to repogram the BECM, but this would then make any existing fobs redundant.

Marty

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who provided great information.
I have key fob #1 and #2. I just redid the shell and button and swapped over the key blade itself for key #1. But I don’t have any information about it. Just Key fob #2.
But as long as I’m careful. I hope to never lose it. Fob #2 is in a lock box as the house to protect it.
Im just trying to prevent future headache. Great information. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I know you guys don't have the same laws/ rules about auto insurance over there, so no idea if it applies, but in UK, where insurance is compulsory, a lot of policies cover key replacement if lost.
Same with recovery and breakdown membership- for an extra $15/yr mine will replace key/fob if lost.
Peace of mind- in UK anyway.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting info. I’ve got 2. I’m just paranoid about losing one especially if they can’t be replaced.
But I have learned that part of life is losing stuff. Cest la vie!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts