RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example: what is your favorite formula to keep the leather soft? I have settled on alternative products made for SHOES that outperforms most, if not all automotive leather products. Dr Martens Dubbin. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a car product, but it can be.

It’s waxy, it’s sticky, and has a wonderful new shoe smell. It lasts a LONG time and doesn’t stain clothing like shoe polish. The cheapest way to buy it is in the care kits (enjoy the bonus laces and applicators).

- slight aside below-

Most automotive products today are dyed, scented gimmicks. Chemical Bros are the worst offenders I’ve encountered thus far. Example, off topic, but the analogy remains relevant: good wheel cleaners like Sonax go on clear and bleed red when they come in contact with iron. They smell like **** but work wonders. Chemical Bros is already red in the bottle, so you can’t tell if there’s a reaction, if it’s even working. It’s cherry scented like some cheap lip balm. Pure crap. The waxes leave your car squeaking dry after a week, and the interior detailing products contain plasticizers that leave your dash and trim gummy and sticky. Gives me headaches, too.

Armor All used to have this smell “pleasant when compared to most industrial chemicals but will still kill you” and now it faintly smells like raw pumpkin guts. Some ineffective water-based formulation like Simple Green that stops working as soon as it evaporates.

RainX is now the same way for the product in the spray bottle. Same weirdly light, organic smell. The original formula only comes in the small squirt bottles with the flip up nozzle. What’s happening, America????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use ONR Rinseless wash for regular washing and spot cleaning but I dont do all the labor intensive techniques on youtube. I just dilute one cap to 1 gallon distilled water, fill a spray bottle, spray on panel and on microfiber towel, and wipe. I fold the towel in quarters and wipe one quarter face per panel. Also use a dry towel to wipe excess.

I just started using Chemical Guys Hybrid Wax bc I wanted to save time. The hybrid wax has been good so far.

Also use Trinova Tire Shine as tire dressing. Only when needed, I use Trinova Plastic and Trim Restorer to bring all dark plastic components back to life, i.e. windshield cowl, pillar trims, etc.

For interior, I use Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. I also use Chemical Guys Total Interior Cleaner and Protectant on all non-leather components like plastic, metal, and even spot cleaning fabric headliner (spray on towel and dab).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I pretty much follow Matt Moreman's way from Obsessed Garage with a few tweaks here and there.

I keep a full stock of most Adams products on hand and use a mix of Optimum products along with a few specialty products.

----------------------------------
Interior:

Adams interior detailer for quick wipe downs.
Adams carpet and upholstery cleaner soft upholstery.
Adams leather and interior cleaner.
Adams leather conditioner or CarPro Perl.
Adams glass cleaner.

Wheels:

Adams Wheel Cleaner. Diluted 1:1 makes it easier to spray, gets better coverage and IMO starts working faster. It is blue in color but turns purple when reacting with iron.
Adams Tire and Rubber cleaner on Tires.
CarPro Perl for tires. I prefer a matt finish and don't like glossy tires. I also have Adams VRT and tire shine but those are too glossy IMO.

Wash:

I also use ONR for dustings. I may also use Adams detail spray depending on what I grab.
Adam's shampoo or Adam's shampoo/wax for most maintenance washes. I use a custom OG mix as a stripping wash for complete details.
Optimum Spray Wax as a drying aid after blow drying with a leaf blower.
Beadmaker pro after drying.
Adams VRT on external rubber and select plastics.

NOTE:
I do use a DI water system for rinse with my washes.
Karcher 1900 pressure washer with MSM gun, hose, 3.0gpm tips to balance pressure and water volume. MSM foam cannon with 1.0 orifice.

Detail:

Nano Ultraglide for most clay, sometimes Adams detail spray depending on what I grab.
Carpro eraser to strip leftovers and clean between polish steps.
Carpro TarX
Carpro IronX

Rupes 6+4 inch polishers.
Jescar correcting compound with a mcguires microfiber cutting disc on speed 4 for most cutting.
Mcguires M101 for more serious jobs.
Sonax perfect finish with a Yellow Rupes foam pad on speed 4 for most polishing.
Jescar Powerlock+ sealant. 2 coats.
Collinite 845 finish. 2 coats.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My wife would kill me if
I pretty much follow Matt Moreman's way from Obsessed Garage with a few tweaks here and there.

I keep a full stock of most Adams products on hand and use a mix of Optimum products along with a few specialty products.

Interior:

Adams interior detailer for quick wipe downs.
Adams carpet and upholstery cleaner soft upholstery.
Adams leather and interior cleaner.
Adams leather conditioner or CarPro Perl.
Adams glass cleaner.

Wheels:

Adams Wheel Cleaner. Diluted 1:1 makes it easier to spray, gets better coverage and IMO starts working faster. It is blue in color but turns purple when reacting with iron.
Adams Tire and Rubber cleaner on Tires.
CarPro Perl for tires. I prefer a matt finish and don't like glossy tires. I also have Adams VRT and tire shine but those are too glossy IMO.

Wash:

I also use ONR for dustings. I may also use Adams detail spray depending on what I grab.
Adam's shampoo or Adam's shampoo/wax for most maintenance washes. I use a custom OG mix as a stripping wash for complete details.
Optimum Spray Wax as a drying aid after blow drying with a leaf blower.
Beadmaker pro after drying.
Adams VRT on external rubber and select plastics.

NOTE:
I do use a DI water system for rinse with my washes.
Karcher 1900 pressure washer with MSM gun, hose, 3.0gpm tips to balance pressure and water volume. MSM foam cannon with 1.0 orifice.

Detail:

Nano Ultraglide for most clay, sometimes Adams detail spray depending on what I grab.
Carpro eraser to strip leftovers and clean between polish steps.
Carpro TarX
Carpro IronX

Rupes 6+4 inch polishers.
Jescar correcting compound with a mcguires microfiber cutting disc on speed 4 for most cutting.
Mcguires M101 for more serious jobs.
Sonax perfect finish with a Yellow Rupes foam pad on speed 4 for most polishing.
Jescar Powerlock+ sealant. 2 coats.
Collinite 845 finish. 2 coats.
My wife would loose her sh$% if I expanded my products to that level. But it is the perfect list to do the job. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My wife would kill me if

My wife would loose her sh$% if I expanded my products to that level. But it is the perfect list to do the job. I'm jealous.
Thanks 😆 I take my Rovers seriously.

Like most things i went a little overboard and bought all the OG packages after buying a pressure washer but in my defense it'll all last quite a while and I've learned a lot. Highly suggest the Obsessed Garage videos and product reviews for those that haven't seen them.

To be real honest using the OG process as a base to learn from was super helpful. Product quality makes a difference as well as knowing how to use them.

The Black AB was the first vehicle i did real paint correction on and his process made it very easy. Professional results from professional products.

I try to keep consistency in my cabinet unless its a specialized product. Therefore i stay within a couple brands but there are lots of other products by other brands.

I like the Adam's products as i appreciate the company's culture and they still seem product and industry focused. Adams also does onsite training workshops which are great if someone wants to learn how to use at a professional level.

Griots and Chemical Guys still have decent products but have gone too commercial and product quality is different now IMO.

Optimum is an amazing product line so far. Really like their products.

For OTC stuff i like either Mcguires or Mother's depending on the specific product. California gold class is a good product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts