RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new to this forum so first of all hello!!

I have an L322 2002 4.4 and have been experiancing massiv problems with the air suspension!!
It started with the Air Suspension Inactive display comming up, so to save messing around had a new one fitted, which was fine for a few weeks, however same problem happened and took her back only to be advised a software update was needed, so paid for this to be done and again fine for a few weeks. However on a return trip from Belgium in heavy rain problem reoccured (around 3 weeks after the second fix) on closer inspection i found the wheel well was full of water which after draining happened again after heavy rain so tightened up the tail gate which appears to have resolved the leak. Any way having taken the car back to be reset again she wouldnt rise to mak hight so let her down to the lower setting where rear of the vehicle went down to the stops and couldnt/wouldnt raise back up!! Eventually after using the garage air compressor and connecting this to the car we have managed to get her back to normal hight, but notice the system has only filled to 7.5 bar (probably due to workshop compressor) and fault will now only clear until compressor cuts in!!
It was noted that water came out of the on board compressor when they disconnected the hose to attach to the work shop compressor and so she is now booked back in to have the compressor stripped and dryed out to see if this will indeed resolve the issue and if the cause in the case of the new unit was due to flooding in the wheel well!!

Would be interested if anyone has had a similar experiance or indeed any advise on a soloution or fix to this problemas so far its cost me the best part of £600.00 and still causing trouble!!

P.S we also had some good snow and she proved fantastic getting where most others wouldnt go, even to the point of having to go off road into feilds to bypass other cars stuck on the main road much to the astonishment of the other road users :lol:

All the Best
Mark

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This is a notorious problem area for the L322 rovers. I would imagine you should be fine once you get everything dried out and/or replaced if the water caused damage. You can get EAS compressors from various websites much cheaper than the dealer if it turns out you need a replacement, and they aren't too difficult to swap, but you'll probably still need another trip to clear the faults once everything is repaired again unless you have a device to do it yourself.

Just be sure you've sealed up the tailgate because if it leaks again it could be rather frustrating to do this all over again so quickly. I check mine periodically even though I haven't had any leaks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I might also note that another common issue is the proper seating of the spare tire and the lines from the compressor. If you cause a kink in the lines while mucking with the spare tire/compressor that can also lead to problems.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Marhol said:
To save messing around had a new one fitted.
Had a new what fitted exactly?

Marhol said:
water came out of the on board compressor .
If water came out of the compressor then I would say that the whole system will have water in it. The compressor housing has an "air dryer" to take any moisture out of the air. This will need replacing because the silica crystals will be dead. I would also say that the air lines will need blowing through, and I wouldn't even know how to get the water out of the air springs, but if it isn't it will ruin the air dryer every time the air exhausts. The air reservoir will need emptying of water, they used to have a drain hole in them but I don't think the L322 has that.

I wonder if your problem actually stems from the water freezing in the lines and valve block as others have known to happen. Either way the air dryer should stop moisture in the air getting into the system (obviously this wont work under water!)

I would say you're going to be heading for an expensive few bills and if you shortcut you will just be replacing the dryer for the next 5 years...

Welcome aboard!

Dan

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes, I agree with Dan... be sure that *everything* is properly dried out and/or replaced. The air bladders are technically removable and can be separated from the strut itself (at least the front ones for sure) so it seems like you should be able to let everything dry if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for your replies even if the news isnt all good!!
Any way shes been in and had the compressor removed and dryed out, it was even left out in a very warm room for a couple of days to make sure no problems and i understand the rest of the system has been checked and blown through, so hopefully no more problems.
I will check on the tail gate regularly but seal on this now seems good and now water appearing back in the wheel well, but to be sure have also drilled a couple of small drain holes in the floor pan to avoid water collecting again and causing a repeat of the problem.
Fingers crossed this has now solved the problem!!

Next week shes in for a 55k service, wonderfull vehicle but just keeps on costing money!! :lol:

Cheers
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts