RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a (looks like new) faultmate msv2 ultimate with my L322 along with the cd, cables, invoice, (boy they are expensive aren’t they?) serial number etc and after a many hours doing battle with the windows installation files, serial to usb converter drivers etc. Etc. I finally got it working (once) and the pc talked to the blue box (aka server). The problem I now have seems to be with licensing, I plug it in to the car (in stand alone mode) and after trying to read faults, a brief message flashes up about licensing (too quickly to read) and then it reboots.

I’ve read and re-read the instruction sheet and can’t figure out if the device is coded to work on just one VIN number or if my unit has every been 'registered'.

Most of the time the Blackbox (v1.28 ) software crashes out with a runtime error 75 when talking to the blue box, but I did get a list of licensed 'things' at some point- I was expecting to see L322 or something but it was a list of systems instead.

I can’t get onto the blackbox support forum as the serial number of the unit is rejected as either being already registered or and invalid serial number so I can’t get any help there. I was hoping to get a later version of the software or something at least.

Emailed blackbox but heard nothing back so I thought I’d try here.

Is it just an expensive paperweight?
ta...

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
If it came with your Rover it should already be set up even if it is VIN locked. Many folks have had issues with the USB converters not having the proper drivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RRToadHall,
I found that you have to run the software as an Administrator (right click ‘run as administrator’) otherwise the software is denied access to some system folder and just crashes all the time.
I ended up using a new 232 to USB converter which worked fine.
Doing this I got it running using a laptop and cleared my faults, but without some sort of license code being supplied by Blackbox I still can’t get on the Blackbox forum to see if there are any updates and the box won’t work in standalone mode but I’m happy to have got this far.
thanks for your advice.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Oh geez... yea I forgot all about that little glitch. :oops:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,423 Posts
I have also got a Faultmate msv2 but the extreme model which has a stand alone screen. The Faultmate is still a current model in production.
The vehicle explorer software won't run under Windows 10 so I setup a virtual machine running XP on my Windows 10 computer using VMware Workstation 12 player. It is a free download, but you still need an XP disk. It runs very well under XP. Blackbox Solutions are usually very helpful if you speak to the right person.

https://blackbox-solutions.com/contact-us

1 - 5 of 5 Posts