RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to everyone!I'm a newby,this will be my first post in any forum of any kind so bare with me and wish me luck! :clap:I recently bought a 1996 RR p38 with 233,000+ miles on it(thank you)and it would not pass the emissions test for NYstate due to a P1777 fault code.I payed the Land Rover dealer $136.00 for diagnosis wich came back as a bad 02 sensor.I was told by the dealer that P1777 is a generic code.Just passing the info as I got it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
well congratulations on the rover and the first post, so did the dealer erase the code for you? not sure where you live, but in my state you have to drive a few hundred miles or so to pass inspection after resetting a code, btw, you can get the codes read at autozone for free and then look them up online, also, I had a the same or similar code on my rover, I erased it and it has not come back after months of driving

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
:think: I think you will find P1777 is not O2 related. "P1777 Gearbox ignition retard request line fault " Did they list the fault on the paperwork or just tell you what it was?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The man at the dealer showed me the diagnostic sheet and quoted me a price for the repairs(I refused,just payed for the diagnostic).They cleared the code and wished me good luck,I then drove about 60 miles back home,took it to the shop down the road where it had previously failed and it passed!(with the same bad 02 sensor!).

·
Registered
135 Posts
My understanding is that P1777 occurs when the truck has been sitting for a while and as long as it is driven will probably not return (per my experience). Definitely not an O2 sensor though.
Rarely will I have anything addressed unless it throws the code twice (or 3 or 4 times) Do yourself a favor and get yourself a code reader that erases codes. Best advice I can give you if you are going to own a LR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts