Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Faster acceleration whet it's cold outside 2003 RR Vogue 3.0TD6

I have something strange going on,

I bought my RR Vogue 2003 3.0TD6 this summer and it drove kind off sluggish.
When driving on small moutainroads i had to keep it revved up to maintain speed.
Not so slow that i was worried but not the performance i expected from my RR

Now with winter arriving and temperatures going down the car seems to have much more power when i start it after a cold night.
I get better acceleration, better throttle response, overal a much faster car.
When i drive the car for a second time for example returning from doing my shopping, the increase in power is lost again.

This has me thinking that something is broken which prevents my car from having this performance when its warmer.

My guess would be choke or something??

Does anyone recognise this and have any suggestions on how te fix this?

thank in advance
Han

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
Re: Faster acceleration whet it's cold outside 2003 RR Vogue 3.0TD6

It is the cold air that makes your motor run better!

·
Registered
700 Posts

colder air = denser air = more oxygen to burn = more power. not really noticeable on a N/A engines but on a FI turbo/SC your butt will notice it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
494 Posts

Cold air yes is the factor but really HS to do with the inter-cooler. The inter cooler cools the ais and in winter it does it up to 50% better than under temperate conditions. Cooler air to start, gets cooled even more I the combustion chamber expands more... Boom! Faster motor off the hop!! You'll treacly notice it low end and off the start. Accelerating at higher speeds is also much more noticeable.

It's either that or the Belgian authorities have decided to add propane to deezil fuel and did not tell anyone. :thumb:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,995 Posts

colder air = denser air = more oxygen to burn = more power. not really noticeable on a N/A engines but on a FI turbo/SC your butt will notice it.
that is correct! when I had my evolution 9 MR, it behaved the same way. power was increased with cold air that I can hear the pfffssswwwttt of the stock turbo every time I shift gears.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts

from my 911 Turbo, I call this horsepower weather! Enjoy it while it lasts!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
494 Posts

I used to drive Saab 900 Turbos owned many of them throughout my life (sadly now a dead marque). Aficionados (guys in So. Cal) used to to build dry ice buckets for the inter coolers to race them... Lots of increased boost and scary fast beyond the 200 BHP the little four banger used to put out. As jbailey930 says have fun with it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

i was secretly hoping something was broken on my car so i could fix this.
I want this power all the time.

Sure there's no automatic choke or something kicking in when it get's colder giving it more punch?

Han

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.