RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So here's the story had the water pump explode on me. Replaced it with a new one and a new viscous fan and clutch. While running it looks like the fan has a slight wobble to it. Is this normal? I can't remember how it looked before I replaced the water pump. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
First thing I would do is find something that can be temporarily mounted in a stationary position near one edge, but not touching the fan. Try and find something that is stiff enough to not flex with wind, but soft enough that if it does get hit by the fan will not damage anything. Turn the fan blade over by hand and see if it clears, but stays at a relatively constant distance from the fan. Take note of both the distance from the outside of the band and relative position to either the front or back edge of the band. If this proves successful, start the motor and watch it carefully to see if there is a change in relative position on the fan.
Sometimes a fixed position in space so to speak can be a great help in isolating that "am I seeing things, or is it really wobbling" feeling. My personal experience is that if your gut is telling you something is wrong, then it usually is.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Good luck and

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Usually a wobbly fan is caused by a worn bearing in the waterpump... As yours is new, it could be a defective part?
Also check the big nut of the fan is tightened sufficiently to the pump. If your old pump exploded, that could have damaged the viscous and cause the play (damaged thread in the nut, connection between nut and viscous body, the bolts connecting the plastic fan to the viscous body...).

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
If you still have the old fan and it's ok try it to ascertain if it's the pump or fan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Something I just realized is that if you mount a "pointer" to the body it could appear that the fan is jumping and wobbling if the motor is running rough and jumping around. So try to mount the pointer to the engine. It will better help determine if the relationship between the motor and fan are changing. It will undoubtedly change between the fan and body, especially if your motor mounts are getting weak. Sorry I did not think about that last night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts