RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
All the classics I have owned have had a fan shroud. I would suggest ebay as a good source for a 2nd hand one. There are some good ebay shops that do nothing but land rover parts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know it's not what you asked, but having replaced a shroud, radiator and viscous fan not that long ago (after the old fan locked up and exploded at high speed), and then the 'new' fan starting to throw fins as well, I took the advice of several on this forum and fitted electric fans from a Ford. It was an easy afternoon's work, didn't cost much, and I have more power, a quieter engine and the peace of mind of knowing that particular adventure will never occur again.

In hindsight I shouldn't have spent a cent fixing the mechanical setup, and this would be my advice to you too...

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
181 Posts
WooHoo, Me too!

I've had one fan explode breaking the shroud and denting the hood. I just noted the mileage the other day and thought the new fan was due to go soon.

I'll admit I never thought of an electric on the rear. Do the condenser fans up front ever kick on if the AC is off?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GT6Steve said:
WooHoo, Me too!

I've had one fan explode breaking the shroud and denting the hood. I just noted the mileage the other day and thought the new fan was due to go soon.

I'll admit I never thought of an electric on the rear. Do the condenser fans up front ever kick on if the AC is off?
i think they only kick on as back up if the mech fan isnt doin its job

·
Registered
94 Posts
The fans I used were off of an EL Falcon. I don't know what the US equivalent would be, but I expect there is one. The AC fans spin due to the airflow but they don't 'kick on'.

Some report needing to modify the plastic shroud slightly around the RR hoses - I didn't. At the bottom of the rad there are a couple of metal brackets that the original shroud locates into. The Ford shroud is a little fatter at the bottom so rather than trimming it and/or finding another way to secure it I just laid a strip of aluminium into these brackets, forming a V along the length of the radiator. This had the twin benefits of providing a nice 'socket' for the bottom of the shroud to wedge into, and of raising it a few mm so that the exisitng lugs clear the top and bottom hoses beautifully without needing to cut anything. There is even a convenient ridge along the Ford shroud that locates against the ali strip locking everything in place.Then I just attached a couple of perforated metal straps to the moulded lugs in the top corners of the shroud to pull it hard up against the radiator, and I rivetted those into some existing holes on the front of the guard. I got lazy with the wiring and just connected the thermostat to my second battery (the positive terminal is just inches away from the top hose).

I'm positive the car is quieter and has more power. The fans hardly ever run except for a few seconds at a time when sitting in traffic etc. Because of my lazy wiring they also tend to run for a minute or so after the engine is switched off as the coolant settles and stratifies. One day I might bother to run it through the ignition circuit but it doesn't really bother me. I should probably fuse it though :oops:

I took some pics when I did the job, if anyone is interested I'll dig them out and post them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts