Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Can anyone identify the direction Got tolls necessary to remove the Fan clutch but running into a problem

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE LUXURY
139 Posts
Should loosen rotating to the right. We hit the wrench with a hammer using a downward and to the right swing. This jars the threaded connection to loosen it up and rotates it to the right. Usually five or six solid hits breaks it free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I actually mistakenly hit send on this post before it was complete. Just sent the intended post!

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE LUXURY
139 Posts
No worries, I got the gist of what you were after.

Like I said, we hit our wrench with a mostly downward swing to jar the threads loose. Like hitting a glass jar lid on the floor before trying to open it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
133 Posts
Correct. It has left hand threads, so right loosey, lefty tighty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,698 Posts
It's very easy to tell which way to loosen the fan - it loosens in the direction of rotation of the fan.

Think about it and you will realise why.

• Love
Reactions: villige1

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I did read that the supercharged turned the belt in the opposite direction so therefore its the normal way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All. I will try right hand this weekend (not a supercharged). Would have tried last weekend but got the **** covid. That was terrible....

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it turns the same direction as the engine, then it's righthand thread. For example, if it's using old school v-belts.

For a serpentine belt, if the fan pulley is using the flat backside of the belt, then it turns the opposite direction of the engine, and then it's lefthand thread.

Always use an anti-seize paste when putting it back on. And the impulse from the hammer hitting the wench is often the only way to get it off. Take all the slack out before hitting it. You might need to tighten the belt, and hold the wrench tight against the nut before you hit it. You might need a good friend that doesn't mind you swinging a hammer at their hands, while they hold the wrench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts