RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK My situation...my wife has an 06 HSE and I have a BMW 545i. I really like the RR and want to buy a S/C for myself and sell the BMW but don't feel like paying $100k so I've looked at used ones. Here are two deals, you let me know what you think. Keep in mind this is in Kalifornia where cars cost more than say the midwest and they are both on dealer lots and thus are the cream of the used car crop unlike most ebay deals.

1. 06 S/C 29,000 miles, rare color combination that I really like, no RES, CPOed until march 2011. $53,000 out the door.

2. 06 S/C 50,000 miles, not my first choice of color, has RES, CPOed until Sept 2010, $45,000 out the door.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good advice...I just want to make sure when I sell it in a couple years that I feel good also :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
remington said:
That's good advice...I just want to make sure when I sell it in a couple years that I feel good also :)
Mileage and Service History will effect resale value most so go for the "Feel Good" and barter the price down a touch 8)

·
Registered
646 Posts
remington said:
Do not buy a Range Rover depending on resale value you will be seriously dissapointed.
If you finance that car in a couple years you will be upside down in it. RRers depreciate really fast!!!
I would say those cars are probably about $6k over priced.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had Range Rovers so I'm familiar with the depreciation issue, no different than any other luxury car I've owned for that matter. Check the depreciation on a new 7 series :crybaby2: . Besides, that's why I'm buying used, the steep part of the depreciation curve is over and what remains is a non-unreasonable cost of ownership. For example if I drive it two years and the value drops by half, that's a $12-16k per year loss, not unreasonable for a 100k (new) luxury car.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6K overpriced? Can you find me a single 06 S/C CPOed on a dealers lot for less than $40k OUT THE DOOR? No way. Maybe an ebay or craigslist car which have usually been passed over by dealers for one reason or another...do a search on the Land Rover CPO inventory website, there isn't a single 06 that is close to your price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Personally, I would look for an 07 SC. You will get the updated interior and the 6 speed transmission. And, if you could find a well maintained private party, you would save the sales tax. Have the car inspected. The CPO adds about 3K to the car, you could add a good warranty for less than that.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
woldd90 said:
Personally, I would look for an 07 SC. You will get the updated interior and the 6 speed transmission. And, if you could find a well maintained private party, you would save the sales tax. Have the car inspected. The CPO adds about 3K to the car, you could add a good warranty for less than that.
Good advice IMHO.

Land Rover can only check what a qualified Inspector can...

LR Dealers want it both ways: Add a bit on (Cos we're dealers) when selling then take a bit off when PX-ing (Cos we're dealers) = large margin :naughty:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are good suggestions...a couple issues though. Buying through a private party doesn't save you sales tax in California. You still pay it. Also the best aftermarket warranty company for Range Rovers pulled out of California as of a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I live in England but buy many US cars including a 2008 GT500 (new) 2008 GT350 (NEW) 2007 Dodge Charger Daytona (NEW) and more....

Although I live in England and ship from Houston (Normally) I actually search for the best deal available across the WHOLE of the USA! I figured that it only costs a few hundred dollars to ship a car from any state to any port so why restrict your search area.

I just did a search for a 2007 Supercharged and immediately came up with a great car Main LR Dealer car in Houston. If you buy the car and are "OUT OF STATE" you sign and slip and "PAY NO SALES TAX" in a similar way to being OUT OF COUNTRY.

Check this hot baby out:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=268369934&dealer_id=100007038&car_year=2007&rdm=1254419628156&model=RANGE&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2007&keywordsfyc=__c3VwZXJjaGFyZ2Vk__&keywordsrep=115117112101114099104097114103101100&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=ROV&keywords_display=supercharged&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=40000&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=77051&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=55000&cardist=26&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Get on the phone to reserve it with a refundable deposit get it inspected by a Nationwide Inspection firm, remember this car has LR Warranty, then hop on a place with your VISA and have a fantastic drive back to California. THen take a holiday road trip with all the cash you have saved compared to a Californian Car (Might go faster too)

Hope this helps as buying remotely can be done quite safely and is a real fun process :thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
I agree with you that buying from a dealer is the only way to go. But personally my salesman at Land Rover Long Island steered me away from 06 S/Cs saying they had a lot of flaws and I would be happier with an HSE. But if you really want an S/C, dealers on the East Coast seem to have them a little bit cheaper.

I am seeing a Zambezi Silver/Jet S/C with 36k miles, tinted windows and roof rail system for $39,900 at Land Rover Parsippany (NJ)
Land Rover Mt. Kisco (NY) has a Tonga Green/Ivory one with 25k miles for $48,000
Land Rover Manhattan (NY) has a Java Black/Jet with 30k for $46,995
Land Rover Paramus (NJ) has a Buckingham Blue/Ivory with 45k for $44,900
Land Rover Parsippany (NJ) has a Zambezi/Jet with 42k for $41,975
Land Rover Long Island (NY) has a Stornoway/Jet and a Java/Jet with 30k each for $48,988

They're all certified and have RSE. I believe all but 1 are 1-owner vehicles.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are some good finds, unfortunately not that useful for a California dweller. We tend to pay more for cars. The upside is west coast used cars are generally in excellent condition compared to snowbelt cars.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it does. The car you linked to is still about $7,000 more than the highest of the two that I mentioned, after tax.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts