RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentleman,

Quick question and looking for some common remedies.

Went out to my truck and it cranked very slow which it has never done before. Let it run for a bit, turned it off and turned it back on and it cranked normally. Parked it for about 3 hours and went back out and it cranked slowly. Well, first thought is battery.

Plugged my IID tool in to check battery when running and its reading 13.4-13.5. Is this normal for these trucks?

I am going to get my volt meter from my garage tomorrow and get a reading on the battery when the truck is off so I'll go from there after I see what that says.

Yellow brake light illuminated after the 3 hour gap start which I attribute to this battery/charging issue.

Anyway, first inquiry is what does it sound like from those who have experienced this? Also, is there any special diagnosis I can do with the IID tool, I mean that's why I bought it! Let me know guys and thank you!

BTW its a 2009 RRS HSE

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just posted a similar question a few hours before you.
Mine is a 2008 RRS, 104,000 miles. Red battery warning light on, never happened before. I did an advanced search, but so many different models of RR came up, not sure of the answer -- but I THINK the red light on mine is specific to alternator failure.
YOURS must be more battery related. I have had battery failure 3 times over the life of my 2008 RRS. The red battery light never came on, just crazy electronic reactions, slow crank, eventually no crank. So my thought is yours is battery; mine is alternator.
But hoping someone chimes in about whether the red battery warning is specific to the alternator on a 2006 - 2009 RRS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup! exactly what happened to me brother. No red Battery light or anything. I actually wound up REALLY using the IID tool (which is amazing) for the first time and as soon as I shut the truck off, the live value for battery voltage dropped to 10v within 30 seconds. I believe that's it!

For your issue, its probably the alternator. My M3 did the same thing and it was the alternator.

Good luck!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Let it run for a bit, turned it off and turned it back on and it cranked normally. Parked it for about 3 hours and went back out and it cranked slowly. Well, first thought is battery.
Well obviously the battery was flat but letting it just run for a bit will only put a surface charge into the battery - hence it started but was flat later.

So get the battery on a good multistagev battery charger and see what happens. If the issue continues then most likely you need a new battery. Get it tested for voltage, CCA and reserve capacity as that will tell you the status of the battery.

Garry

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well obviously the battery was flat but letting it just run for a bit will only put a surface charge into the battery - hence it started but was flat later.

So get the battery on a good multistagev battery charger and see what happens. If the issue continues then most likely you need a new battery. Get it tested for voltage, CCA and reserve capacity as that will tell you the status of the battery.

Garry
I would also bet on bad battery - when alternator is running it will charge at 13.5 V +/- so that is what you are reading. You need to read the voltage when engine is not running a good battery should read between 12.2 - 12.6V. If it is below 12.2 and recently run - it is probably time to replace. Auto store can load test for free.

For extra credit you should test the drain on the battery when the system is off, and then in sleep - using clamp type volt-meter - to make sure there is no big drain that killed the battery in the first place - for example bad alternator diodes can do that ...

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
My GAP tool always read 14 to 14.2 volts on a good battery when running. I agree with Alpaca, test with load, without and in sleep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts