RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As explained to me by Range Rover of Sudbury, MA. I took ownership of a 2012 RR Sport under their certified pre-owned program and I was told this vehicle was thoroughly gone over. Before I took ownership I raised concern of break wear and tire alignment. They took it into the shop and measured the brake pads and inspected the alignment. In either case I have to believe the wheels have been taking off at this time or during their multi-point certified pre-owned inspection.

Last week I was scheduled to rotate my tires at my local tire shop. The shop came back to me and said all the lug nuts will not accept the socket to remove. I could not understand since all the autos I have owned never had lug nuts FAIL!

I then brought my 2012 RR Sport to this dealership and showed the service manager whats going on with my wheels. He began to tell me that it's a KNOW issue (my interpretation, DEFECT) and the RR lug nuts fail. I began to challenge his comment with "So your telling me since you looked at this vehicle 12 months ago and less than 8k miles that I put on my vehicle and it sits in a garage all day long since I work from home. The dealership said yes and it's a very common problem with the Range Rovers.

If this is such a problem then I would classify this as an engineering defect. There is NO way I can remove my lug nuts with the wrench provided. Dealership told me I have to PAY for replacement of DEFECTIVE nuts at a cost of $18.00 each times 20.

I feel that if this dealership DID in fact inspect this vehicle they would have noticed this problem and should have remediated, instead they stuck me with a known defect. The vehicle is under the 100,000 5 year bumper to bumper certified pre-owned warranty however the dealership tells me this is not a covered item. Go figure! Since they know this is a problem/defect they should pay for it.

What's your thoughts?
Capt. Ken

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,456 Posts
Presumably you're talking about the slightly loose or deformed aluminum cap on the lug nuts. Highly doubtful that all 20 of them have failed, but even so, that is a common issue with this design sine 2006. You're better off getting a set of gorilla nuts (do a search here) and you'll find good quality nuts without the cap in silver or black. Throw the old ones away and your problem is solved...or maybe keep 1 or 2 of them as spares just in case. Shop using the wrong size socket or air tools on them can slightly deform the cap...over time that creates issues.

HOWEVER...any good tire/alignment shop should have the tools and knowledge to remove even these nuts...find a better shop...and buy some gorilla nuts...problem solved.

Happy Sailing!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
They wont be covered as technically its a wear item due to corrosion the silver cap expands causing the socket not to fit. This is a occurrence on lots of vehicles not Rover specific.

Like was stated its a powerball winning chance that all 20 are bad, Chances are they found one and stopped so they wouldn't be liable. Any competent shop shouldn't have an issue as they just use a locking lug removal tool and take off the bad lugs.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Gorilla Nuts are great, although I have had some issues with the black paint coming off over time.

I used to think most of the lug nut issues were mostly from incorrect size sockets, but I think a lot more of it is the lugs rusting, I will usually have a decent pile of rust on the lift when I remove all the lug nuts from a truck.

I usually recommend replacing them all, and strongly suggest replacing any that a 22mm doesn't fit on easily. I have plenty of tools to get even the worst ones off without much issue, but the customer/roadside service probably won't if a tire ever needs to be changed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As explained to me by Range Rover of Sudbury, MA. I took ownership of a 2012 RR Sport under their certified pre-owned program and I was told this vehicle was thoroughly gone over. Before I took ownership I raised concern of break wear and tire alignment. They took it into the shop and measured the brake pads and inspected the alignment. In either case I have to believe the wheels have been taking off at this time or during their multi-point certified pre-owned inspection.

Last week I was scheduled to rotate my tires at my local tire shop. The shop came back to me and said all the lug nuts will not accept the socket to remove. I could not understand since all the autos I have owned never had lug nuts FAIL!

I then brought my 2012 RR Sport to this dealership and showed the service manager whats going on with my wheels. He began to tell me that it's a KNOW issue (my interpretation, DEFECT) and the RR lug nuts fail. I began to challenge his comment with "So your telling me since you looked at this vehicle 12 months ago and less than 8k miles that I put on my vehicle and it sits in a garage all day long since I work from home. The dealership said yes and it's a very common problem with the Range Rovers.

If this is such a problem then I would classify this as an engineering defect. There is NO way I can remove my lug nuts with the wrench provided. Dealership told me I have to PAY for replacement of DEFECTIVE nuts at a cost of $18.00 each times 20.

I feel that if this dealership DID in fact inspect this vehicle they would have noticed this problem and should have remediated, instead they stuck me with a known defect. The vehicle is under the 100,000 5 year bumper to bumper certified pre-owned warranty however the dealership tells me this is not a covered item. Go figure! Since they know this is a problem/defect they should pay for it.

What's your thoughts?
Capt. Ken
This is good to know that this is how they do business. I was planning to go test drive one at their dealership later this week.

My 2010 has the same issue with the lug nuts. Corrosion and rust under the cap deforms it and makes it nearly impossible to get on or off the car.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
You're not condemned for life to live with bad ones...just buy a set off Ebay and you're good to go. Let's see if the OP comes back with any resolution to his situation.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The issue is simply using the wrong type of socket and a rattle gun (as most shops use). The stainless outer cover will spin on the inner nut - about a mm different in size. I have had this issue - I did it myself by using my rattle gun and a multipoint socket that only grips on the points of the outer cover - which allows the cover to ride around the inner nut.

So the solution is to not use multipoint sockets but use hex sockets (like your wheel brace) and do not use rattle gun as they will spin the outer cover.

I did two of my nuts and as a result had to cut into the outer cover to expose the strong inner nut to undo them.

This is what they looked like once removed from the car - you can see the strong inner nut and can also see that cutting into the outer cover will allow nut removal. But the inner nut is 1 or 2 mm (cant remember) smaller than the nut with cover.

Garry

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
You're not condemned for life to live with bad ones...just buy a set off Ebay and you're good to go. Let's see if the OP comes back with any resolution to his situation.
I also had to buy gorilla nuts and I love them. They don't have those aluminum caps and compliment the look of the wheels. OP should get them, he won't regret it and OP, its a tough sale to the dealership to try to get them to cover the cost. Honestly dude it's more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I Brought my car to LandRover of Sudbury to have them Diag my transmission, Instead of looking into it and trying to repair the problem, They told me i needed a complete replacement. I brought it back to my shop and installed a new filter/pan and the proper amount of fluid....Problem solved

When i looked over the paper work they gave me they mentioned i needed new lugnuts at 345$. Apparently they swell causing them to become larger and you can no longer put the proper socket over them. This is mostly true as i did have a hard time removing them.

What's your thoughts?
Capt. Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts