RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, having just recently picked up a 2017 TD6 HSE. I am a little new to the air suspension behavior of my new rig. I believe I have failed front struts in my range and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it as well. RR has 55k on it now, and it seems like the front struts cannot hold air. Car has clean title and full dealer maintenance record so its been well maintained.

Symptoms:
  • Front corners seem to adjust height while at stop lights
  • After driving for a while, vehicle will not raise up due to “Compressor needs to cool”
  • Can hear a hissing from both front struts when vehicle is off.
  • No noise from rear airbags

Checked:
  • turned off auto access height
  • Will check lines tomorrow when its light outside.

Want to understand:
  • What is the normal ride height from center of hub to fender lip for front/rear at access and normal height.
  • Anything else I should check?

Anyone else had similar issues? have found many posts on the L322, but not nearly as much on the L405.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like you do have a problem. I would troubleshoot more before replacing the struts though. I did read about the painter tape method. Also, if both sides lose height, I would be suspicious since two struts are unlikely to fail at the same time...the issue could be a compressor, valve, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any more info on the painters tape method? I am going to check underhood this morning.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
30 Posts
Sounds to me more like a control module failure... Not sure if that's the correct term, but seems like the computer is "searching" for the correct height and therefore, overheating the compressor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure its the ride height module. Apologies for the lack of clarity, but the Pass front Strut basically hisses and empties within 15-20s and I think the compressor tries to compensate by filling it constantly which is why its overheating. The drivers strut can hold air for about 1 min also.

Already ordered struts... just waiting on delivery. Hopefully i can get it done before my compressor craps out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Replaced the front air struts on the RR saturday. Took about 3.5hrs for me to do the work. All is fixed now! Rides much better, and air suspension holds height as expected. Highly recommend the Arnott replacement air struts if anyone ever has the same issue.

One thing to note in the instructions Arnott provides, do not remove the 4 top nuts fully. Loosen them as much as possible while still holding the strut. You will need to use these nuts to hold the strut in place to remove the strut from the bottom clevis as its a press fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts