RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had remanufactured Arnot Air Springs and Struts installed on my '06 HSE less than a week ago. Wouldn't you know, I'm 500 miles from home and my left front air bag has failed. The nearest dealer is a couple hundred miles away, and the nearest indy shop is about 100 miles away, both in the wrong direction from where I need to be heading to get home.

Here's the situation, I'm in Telluride, Colorado where the lows are in the teens. I was backing out of a parking spot, when I hear a burst of air come from front left. At this point, the compressor is working to recharge the system and the left front continues to periodically seep air. Eventually, the compressor shuts down, cools off, then restarts again.

The way I see it, I can disable the EAS so I don't burn up the compressor and drive for 500 miles on bump stops. That sounds like a recipe for more trouble, but I suppose if I take it slow it may work. Or, I can trust an unknown indy shop to put on OEM air springs, I'll rent a car to drive home and come back at a later date to pick up the truck.

Advice? What's the risk of more damage if I ride on the bump stops for that long? Or perhaps I'm overlooking an easier solution.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
It's not fun, but it is doable. I did 800 miles in a P38 on bump stops and I have done 250 in an L322. You aren't going to do more damage except to your kidneys. Turn on your seat heater and stick to the freeways.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Sounds like Arnott is as "good" with the MkIII as they are(n't) with the P38 airbags. Meaning if you love warranty, then go ahead. Otherwise go OEM and get a known good product.
As far as the stops go etc. It's really your call. No it wont do it any good riding 500 miles on the bump stops, but then they are there for that reason, so.....
I've gone @60 miles on the bumpstops in years gone by, and I still remember it well, if that tells you anything.
I would be yelling at Arnott (they must be used to it by now), and have them overnight a new strut to your location. You'll have to take a video of it leaking, to prove you dont want to just change one for the fun of it. They are also a vendor here, so maybe shoot them a PM too.
You did buy direct from them didnt you? I know I have heard of folks having some hassle when the bags/struts were purchased through a 3rd party. I bought from them directly, and still had some hoops to jump through.
Best of luck, keep us posted.

Martin

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,921 Posts
sorry for the unforeseen suspension issues.
Based on the info provided, at this point I would suggest that you park the truck, and get a rental car..

Get online order a new set of Delphi struts from Island 4X4 in the UK.
NOTE they are the least expensive even with shipping,
send them to your local shop where the truck is parked,
let them install the struts, shouldnt be too hard as the struts were just swapped out
Recover your machine.

NOTE bumpstops are for people without options, you have options.

Send the arnotts back to the vendor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on the info provided, at this point I would suggest that you park the truck, and get a rental car..

let them install the struts, shouldnt be too hard as the struts were just swapped out
Recover your machine.

I wish I had the option of parking the truck, but I'm nowhere near a shop that can do the work. I suppose I missed the quality issues with Arnotts on this forum, I thought I'd researched it pretty well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like Arnott is as "good" with the MkIII as they are(n't) with the P38 airbags. Meaning if you love warranty, then go ahead. Otherwise go OEM and get a known good product.
As far as the stops go etc. It's really your call. No it wont do it any good riding 500 miles on the bump stops, but then they are there for that reason, so.....
I've gone @60 miles on the bumpstops in years gone by, and I still remember it well, if that tells you anything.
I would be yelling at Arnott (they must be used to it by now), and have them overnight a new strut to your location. You'll have to take a video of it leaking, to prove you dont want to just change one for the fun of it. They are also a vendor here, so maybe shoot them a PM too.
You did buy direct from them didnt you? I know I have heard of folks having some hassle when the bags/struts were purchased through a 3rd party. I bought from them directly, and still had some hoops to jump through.
Best of luck, keep us posted.

Martin
I intended to buy directly from Arnott but they didn't have the left front in inventory. They found a 3rd party for me and I purchased from them with 1 year warranty. That probably gives me no leverage with Arnott but I guess I can still yell at them.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts

Recover your machine.

500 miles from home with no shop in the area is hardly a viable option. :naughty:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Funny.. I was just about to buy two front air struts from them. Sorry for the loss, I'd reccomend calling them up big time and getting a refund or replacement. For all else, would you reccomend this company, island 4x4 or OEM for replacment struts/airbags?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about Island and have used them myself with no complaint. Ordered at lunchtime and the parcel arrived next day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Grrrrrreat...a thread like this pops up the day before I'm about to put on my Arnott's (stock one failed). Not what I wanted to see.

OP....did you replace both factory fronts with the Arnotts or just one of them? It's usually the front right that goes most often.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Sadly issues with Arnott products have left people stranded for many many years. Their introduction of the "GenII" on the P38 line was dismal with failing crimps, leaks and breaking mounts. "GenIII" were mildly better but still suffer from failing crimps. The L322 products are questionable at best. There are more than a few reports of the actual struts failing although the EAS component is fine. Their idea of remanufacturing a strut is to test it and if it passes they spray paint it to look new before installing the EAS bellows. You may be buying a pair of reman struts but one of those struts could already have over 100K miles on it. They arrive to their facility in a big bulk shipment on a pallet of used struts from various sources. It is not revalved, resealed or even refreshed. A quick rebound and pressure test and off the the paint shop so it looks pretty. With a new bellows crimped on you are receiving a used strut with no history and unknown mileage. I've had a lot of Arnott failures come through the shop over the past 5 or 6 years. Looking at their failure rate I stopped recommending their stuff ages ago.

Quite frankly you are better off buying used from eBay if you are in a pinch for funds. At least then you have a chance of knowing how many miles are on the strut you are getting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grrrrrreat...a thread like this pops up the day before I'm about to put on my Arnott's (stock one failed). Not what I wanted to see.

OP....did you replace both factory fronts with the Arnotts or just one of them? It's usually the front right that goes most often.
I replaced both. My factory front left was leaking in cold weather so every time I was parked in below freezing weather, the truck would be on the stops in the morning and wouldn't raise until it warmed up. With the recently installed Arnott, I was optimistic when I first approached my truck as it wasn't on the stops, but my joy didn't last long.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Interested to know what failed. I replaced my left front OEM shock with an Arnott and it looked very well made. I never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for the honest info Toad....not doing much for my morale though haha

I replaced both. My factory front left was leaking in cold weather so every time I was parked in below freezing weather, the truck would be on the stops in the morning and wouldn't raise until it warmed up. With the recently installed Arnott, I was optimistic when I first approached my truck as it wasn't on the stops, but my joy didn't last long.
Interested to know what failed. I replaced my left front OEM shock with an Arnott and it looked very well made. I never had an issue with it.
well....still going to put mine on this weekend. I mean I have the Arnotts already and my Range is sitting un-driveable with one blown strut.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
You may as well fit them if you have them. But beware of what may happen. It seems that if they last more than a month or so, you may be OK for a few years. That's my experience with them anyways.

Martin

·
Registered
279 Posts
keeping fingers crossed for the 1st month. Thing is...suspension issues tend to make themselves known more in the winter....now that the temps are rising it might be harder to tell if the Arnotts are failing.

Well the stock front left is still "ok" from what I see (bag is hard). Debating if I should leave it on or put both the Arnotts in.

Maybe I'll replace them both and keep the stock driverside in case of emergency

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I kept both my OEM struts and replaced the air bags with new OEM. At least I know how many miles were on the struts (80k). I would have tried the Bilstein's if the deal was still available but time will tell if they are as good as OEM.

·
Registered
279 Posts
where did you buy just the bags from? How hard was this? Don't you have to transfer over O-rings and seals etc and make sure you seal it properly etc. Seems like a bit of a headache...that's why I got the whole unit.

Arnot sells just the bags as an option but they are more expensive than just the strut. Also I think their bags are made by Arnot and are an "upgraded" bag.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts