RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any and all help in advance. We have in the shop a 1999 4.0S Range Rover. The car has 160,000 miles on it. The customer's complaint is that on start up and backing out of his drive, when brakes are applied, the pedal goes real low. After that the brakes work fine for a while and then goes low on braking again. My thoughts was a master cylinder, but wonder if there may be air in the system causing the problem. There doesn't seem to be a bleed down just holding the brake pedal. Any thoughts?
Hank

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
You may want to try posting this on the P-38 forum. This is the RRS forum and most guys here would have a hard time finding the brake pedal much less the master cylinder. :wink:

My $0.02. Unless you just did a fluid change, and got air in the MC, on a 10 yr old car with an original MC, I'm going w MC.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,478 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
This is the RRS forum and most guys here would have a hard time finding the brake pedal much less the master cylinder. :wink:
****...I always wondered what that extra pedal was for... :D :D :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Probably would behave the same if he parked backing in and the first application of the brakes going forward would feel way low. Many times this is a defective brake booster which leaks vacuum down over night and takes a while to regain vacuum after start up. If pumping the brakes rapidly makes the pedal go low then it probably is the booster as it runs out of vacuum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts