RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory subwoofer in my 02 Range Rover gave way earlier this year. There was a nice tear around the lip of the two drivers creating a fairly horrendous drone. I have had the unit disconnected for a while. Finally, I went through with fixing it. Rather than going the completely aftermarket route and making a new enclosure I decided to use the factory one.

First off, many thanks to HSE_Rover_4_Life for his help and for pioneering the idea in an earlier thread some time ago.

I just finished the build. I will upload some pictures so you all can see just how easy it is. Once I get everything wired up I will comment on performance.

Rather than going with the top of the line JL drivers, I decided to get the Kicker 6.5" Subs. They are slightly less powerful, but since I will be using the original amplifier I wasn't going to get everything out of the JL's anyway. The Kickers are about half the price. They also require a slightly less enclosed volume space.

Cost of the Project:
- Kicker CVT65 Subwoofer 4ohm (x2) - $115 Shipped
- Miscellaneous screws and parts - $10
- MDF Rings - $10

I have the Harman Kardon system with the internal amp. It came bolted onto the bottom of the speakers. It is necessary to mount it inside the enclosure.

The main problem is that the speakers don't fit exactly in the original housing. They are slightly too large. This was solved fairly easily by making some spacers. I chose to do this out of 3/4" MDF board. I can post specifications if anyone is interested. I had access to a laser cutter so it was quite easy, but there are some online vendors that will do it for cheap. I then sprayed them black to match somewhat.

After solving this problem, it became just a matter of bolting everything up. I had to purchase some longer screws and some nice rubber washers to limit vibration.

I am going to run some silicone gel around the rim of the spacers to seal everything up. Once I get everything wired up, I will add a few more pictures. It ended up being pretty easy and quite cheap.

Cheers.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good idea going for the Kicker over the JL. From memory the small format subs are only available in JL's lower ranges which IMO are dissapointing for their price tag. I doubt you'd get much improvement (if any) using JL and it'd cost considerably more.

Nicely done and well documented. :clap:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
considering I dont want to spend much, i think for $60 is not bad, it ll hit better than the stock ones and thats all i care about, unless you get a similar price range speaker that's better

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I would take that Lanzar over Pyle any day. I used to own a small car stereo shop when I was younger, but it's been a LONG time since I've been up to date on what's available. In those days, Lanzar was a much better brand than Pyle.

One thing to keep in mind is that the factory amp doesn't have a ton of power, and the factory speakers have a high spl rating. Most aftermarked speakers, especially subs, have a low spl rating...for instance IIRC, those Kickers have around 88 dB @ 1w/1meter...which, going off memory again, is at least 8 dB lower than the factory speakers. 3 dB is literally twice as loud, althouh to the human ear it's more like 10dB... so when you put in the newer, aftermarket speakers...they tend to sound a little quiter, and you need to turn up the bass and sub levels to get the same sound. Where they start to shine is at the higher volumes, when the stock subs would start to distort...the new ones will sound nice...until you reach the limits of the amp anyway.

·
Registered
468 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I would take that Lanzar over Pyle any day. I used to own a small car stereo shop when I was younger, but it's been a LONG time since I've been up to date on what's available. In those days, Lanzar was a much better brand than Pyle.
Lanzar used to be good stuff. Unfortunately it's now gone to the dogs and the days of things like the Optidrive amps won't happen again.

kmagnuss said:
Most aftermarked speakers, especially subs, have a low spl rating...for instance IIRC, those Kickers have around 88 dB @ 1w/1meter...which, going off memory again, is at least 8 dB lower than the factory speakers. 3 dB is literally twice as loud, althouh to the human ear it's more like 10dB... so when you put in the newer, aftermarket speakers...they tend to sound a little quiter, and you need to turn up the bass and sub levels to get the same sound. Where they start to shine is at the higher volumes, when the stock subs would start to distort...the new ones will sound nice...until you reach the limits of the amp anyway.
Unfortunately there's no standard of measuring db efficiency so comparing brand to brand is worthless. 2.8v/1m, 1w/1m, splx (ground plane), measured at 100hz vs 1000hz yadda yadda yadda. There's simply too much variation for it to be an effective measure.

IMO, for the power of the factory amp and the enclosure they're going into then quality of speaker itself won't have a huge impact. Buy the cheap ones and maybe spend a few extra dollars stiffening up the enclsoure instead.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Very true Rogan.

Just to throw this into the mix, when mine went the way of the dodo, I threw in some Rockford Fosgate subs. They don't sound as good at low volumes, but when it's cranked it sounds pretty good.

Also...I actually bought a pair of POS Pyramid subs, knowing they were junk, but couldn't pass them up for the $15 I got them for. One was delivered with the cone separated from the voice coil. Nice. I stuck the other in there and it actually didn't sound too bad. But...at higher volumes it showed it's weakness, and was promplty replaced by the Fosgates.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright so I got everything all bolted up and looking good.

It would be foolish of me to think it was going to go through to finish problem free :naughty: . So, when I wired everything up and started testing the set-up, I got good sound out of one speaker. However, when I connected the second pair of wires to the adjacent speaker, I got a loud drone that continued until the radio was turned off. I have no idea why this is happening. I suppose there is a problem with my amplifier, though I am not sure why one of the speakers is driving properly. No chance the speaker is bad because they are brand new and I tried both. Perhaps, there is an issue with the wiring harness, but doubtful. Any thoughts?

As of now, I just have one speaker connected. It sounds really nice, so I know if I get both up and running it will sound fantastic.

·
Registered
401 Posts
How are you wiring them together series or parallel? it makes a huge difference. The stock amp may not be rated for the impedance (ohm) the subs are at and therefore become unstable giving you that drone you hear. Check the original subs impedance vs. the new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
They're not wired in series or parallel, they have separate wiring. Factory speakers are 4 ohm. The wires coming out of the amp look the same for both speakers...are you sure you wired them up correctly? Is the amp touching one of the speakers? I'm wondering if it's grounding out on the amp, causing the drone. Since you had the box apart, you should have removed the amp from the heat enclosure while you could...the speakers make enough heat on their own without the help of the amp to ruin them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's pretty tough to mess up the wiring. It was virtually a plug and play situation once the speakers and amp were mounted. There was no soldering needed as the Kicker's have those nice spring-loaded plugs. All I did was cut the original plugs off the factory harness and strip the coating down to expose the wire. Then I just popped them on in.

The amplifier is not touching the bottom of the enclosure or either of the speakers. It is mounted sideways against the far wall of the unit. However, I used two long bolts and rubber spacers (roughly an inch), so the amp isn't touching anything.

I am starting to think there is a problem with the amplifier. The sound is eerily similar to the sound produced with the old, original speakers fixed. Granted, there was an obvious tear in one of the speakers.

I'll attach a photo of the inside tomorrow.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Hey I've been around these forums for a while but this is my first post so hello everyone. I was wondering if you could post the specs for the spacers you fabricated. Great job by the way!
Thanks
-George

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
208 Posts
Looks a great mod. My HK system is currently working well, but the main thing that stands out is the sub performance at higher volumes. A plug and play upgrade that can keep up across the spectrum would be great.
Hope you get the 2nd one working! Good luck
Matt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts