RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Vogue with the 7-Spoke 20" Wheels and am considering buying a new set of Factory 19" wheels when I the tyre change is due. I have has several Range Rovers on 20" Wheels (3) and the ride never seems as smooth and vibration free as it should be.

I have also has a a Discovery 3 (LR3) Metropolis with 19" wheels and the ride felt much more isolated from engine and road noise/vibration. I have asked several Land Rover Mechanics over the last few months and all have said that 20" is just to big for the L322 model drive setup and varying degrees of Torsional Vibration is inevitable on all models both Diesel and Petrol.

They stated that I you want to drive my 2007 as it was designed to be driven then 19" is the maximum given their extra sidewall height. I presume 18" would be a further improvement but that's going to far for me.

Comments appreciated?

20" Wheels on my Car that are OK but nothing special:

19" Wheels I am considering and like the look of:

·
Registered
159 Posts
how about those peeps riding on 24's.... jeez. if you like the way the 19's look, you can't beat the ride with 20's. i also am not a huge fan of those 20's. just OK, as you said. how about some beefier tires on the 19s though!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ed1655 said:
how about those peeps riding on 24's.... jeez. if you like the way the 19's look, you can't beat the ride with 20's. i also am not a huge fan of those 20's. just OK, as you said. how about some beefier tires on the 19s though!
Not sure what you mean by "you can't beat the ride with 20's" - surely you mean: "you can't beat the ride with 19's" :?:

I am considering beefier "all season" tyres on the 19's, probably 265/55 R19 as per my other thread: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35318&start=75

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gazellio.

In respect of the ride and vibration situation on your FFRR, this has more to do with the tyres rather than the wheel diameters !

After working in a Australian tyre shop changing rubber Ten years ago during my Uni' days, there's a difference between the quality brand names versus the also rans from the fitment to the balancing and ultimate roundness attained in the better tyres.
Wear rates for inferior brand tyres effect the way the rubber degrades evenly, their weight and flat spotting design philosophy.

I agree with the fact 19" wheels will have a softer ride compared to 20" rims just because of the additional sidewall profile, but this can be compensated by choosing an Xtra Load rated tyre and reducing the tyre pressures according to the fitment size used.

Shocks and springs have a limited effect on vibration transfer into the cabin, though they can improve overall vehicle handling ?

Stick with 7 spoke 20" wheels on your '07 L322 and buy better quality rubber that are XL rated so you can run lower pressures.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vinniman said:
Gazellio.

In respect of the ride and vibration situation on your FFRR, this has more to do with the tyres rather than the wheel diameters !

After working in a Australian tyre shop changing rubber Ten years ago during my Uni' days, there's a difference between the quality brand names versus the also rans from the fitment to the balancing and ultimate roundness attained in the better tyres.
Wear rates for inferior brand tyres effect the way the rubber degrades evenly, their weight and flat spotting design philosophy.

I agree with the fact 19" wheels will have a softer ride compared to 20" rims just because of the additional sidewall profile, but this can be compensated by choosing an Xtra Load rated tyre and reducing the tyre pressures according to the fitment size used.

Shocks and springs have a limited effect on vibration transfer into the cabin, though they can improve overall vehicle handling ?

Stick with 7 spoke 20" wheels on your '07 L322 and buy better quality rubber that are XL rated so you can run lower pressures.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
The 07 Truck with 7-Spoke 20" is currently shod with Continental Cross Contact UHP 255/50 R20 with 7mm of tread.

I believe these to be "Premium" tyres so what sort of pressures are you talking about to safe, get good wear, but a softer ride equivalent to a 19" wheel with a 55 profile???

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gazellio.

Conti's are crap. One only has to read further references to balancing problems, out of round, flat spotting, performance etc. !

Even 'Premium' Continential Town & Country MTB tyres I bought in the late 1990's were the worst rubber I had ever bought, this even includes the 15" Z speed rated donuts I ran on my 1990 Vauxhall Carlton GSi3000 that wore out quickly and totally melted ?

The standard pressure you should be running on your beast should be 40 psi with two adults, half fuel and any extra equipment.
Your tyre needs to be XL rated to run lower pressure, as load rating is stamped on a tyre sidewall that stipulates '111' minimum.

When tread depth gets low, increased ride harshness or vibrations from your tyres are felt and a lower threshold to prevent wet weather aqua-planning becomes an issue, together with feathering of the tyres rubber edges and shimmy in the steering wheel.

A 19" wheel and tyre combo should ideally be set at 38 psi at cold inflation pressures on your FFRR as per my example detailed above, but remember another tyres wider tread footprint will get you a more comfortable ride versus your 255/50R20 Conti's.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gazellio said:
ed1655 said:
Not sure what you mean by "you can't beat the ride with 20's" - surely you mean: "you can't beat the ride with 19's" :?:
yeah i meant that you couldn't beat the ride of 19's with 20's... in other words, the 19's will obviously ride better than 20's no matter what. sorry... :oops:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vinniman said:
Gazellio.

Conti's are crap. One only has to read further references to balancing problems, out of round, flat spotting, performance etc. !

Even 'Premium' Continential Town & Country MTB tyres I bought in the late 1990's were the worst rubber I had ever bought, this even includes the 15" Z speed rated donuts I ran on my 1990 Vauxhall Carlton GSi3000 that wore out quickly and totally melted ?

The standard pressure you should be running on your beast should be 40 psi with two adults, half fuel and any extra equipment.
Your tyre needs to be XL rated to run lower pressure, as load rating is stamped on a tyre sidewall that stipulates '111' minimum.

When tread depth gets low, increased ride harshness or vibrations from your tyres are felt and a lower threshold to prevent wet weather aqua-planning becomes an issue, together with feathering of the tyres rubber edges and shimmy in the steering wheel.

A 19" wheel and tyre combo should ideally be set at 38 psi at cold inflation pressures on your FFRR as per my example detailed above, but remember another tyres wider tread footprint will get you a more comfortable ride versus your 255/50R20 Conti's.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
If they were XL rated what would that lower pressure be and what tyres would you run for that smooth ride?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gazellio said:
The 07 Truck with 7-Spoke 20" is currently shod with Continental Cross Contact UHP 255/50 R20 with 7mm of tread.
I have on mine the original 20' 7 spoke alloys.
Only 2 manufacturers make them for the Range, Continental and Pirelli.
On tyres I have the Pirellis Scorpion http://www.pirellityre.com/web/tyres-ca ... fault.page

Never rode a Range on 18's or 19's, but I find these pirellis great. Don't find the ride crashy, and they give a sense of ''holding on''.
18's or 19's should be good for highway or long straight journeys, but on general use i'm pretty happy with my 20's.

Stick with them....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gazellio.

Here's an example of what fitment option I would run on a FFRR such as your beast with the 7 spoke 20"x8.5" OEM wheels Mista.

Firstly considering that an all-season ability your truck will continue to serve you well past the first summer and into the winter, an equivalent tyre I'd recommend with respect to the Continentals would be the General Grabber UHP's in a 275/45R20 XL size !

The main difference is the General's were the first aftermarket supplier of original 255/60R18 rubber on all L322 Range Rovers, which require directional tread rotation on the same side of your ride and could be aired down to 36 psi for highway speeds ?

Always check tyre inflation tempretures when the vehicle is cold and when hot should Not exceed +4 psi above your cold level. Bear in mind the determination of road conditions & the district where you live will be a greater influence on your tyre choice.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks wise, I prefer the look of the 19s. When buying my car, it was something that was on my shopping list.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
itsamac said:
Looks wise, I prefer the look of the 19s. When buying my car, it was something that was on my shopping list.
My favourite are the new Vogue style 9 2010 19" Wheels: (ignore the blurb below picture they are 19" stock Range Rover Wheels)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have 20's on both of my Rovers because I like the look of them better. However, the 19's really were smoother and you can tell the difference.

I just put my 19's for sale with tires in the classified portion of this site (too bad you don't live closer) :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a brilliant calculator that clearly illustrates how different Tyre aspect profiles and widths combined with rim sizes effect the "Tyre suspension comfort value" as well as rolling radius details etc.

It shows that a 255/40 R20 would have a really harsh ride with Comfort value only 4.8

However change the width to 295/40 R20 and you have a better ride with a 7.3 Comfort Value.

A 275/35 R22 has a bone crunching value of 3.9! And you need super fat 385 with 35/22's to get a 10!!!!

Ideal is Comfort Value 10 and to get this on 20 or 19 inch range rover wheels you need a minimum of either:

275/50 R20 (So Stock 255/50 R20 is a not brilliant 8.8 so worth getting 275+ at change)
305/45 R20 (You cannot get a 10 with a 40 Profile or lower without silly widths)

245/55 R19 (So stock 255/55 is 10+ really comfortable and 275/55 R19 is 10+++ pure bliss and MY CHOICE on 2010 Style 8 Alloys :dance: )

http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro ... ulator.htm

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
You do realize that a 275/55/19 is going to be a full 2" taller than the 255. That will change your gearing and speedo readout quite a bit. The stock size is approx. 30" tall.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PARR06 said:
You do realize that a 275/55/19 is going to be a full 2" taller than the 255. That will change your gearing and speedo readout quite a bit. The stock size is approx. 30" tall.
OOPs no I did not. Back to 255/55 R19 then - still a 10!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gazellio said:
PARR06 said:
OOPs no I did not. Back to 255/55 R19 then - still a 10!
275/50 R19 is only 2mm different..... May try these

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gazellio.

Sounds like you're getting more informed of how the FFRR tyre/wheel game exists and what is possible & what is not possible ?

A word of caution though, when any of us start to install larger and larger diameter wheels or tyres with the resultant increases in un-sprung weight bearing down on each stub axle or each corner of the L322 Range Rovers, appropriate improvements to the suspension system of each vehicle must be made to counter the effects of the extra loads being applied to the contact surface !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vinniman said:
Gazellio.

Sounds like you're getting more informed of how the FFRR tyre/wheel game exists and what is possible & what is not possible ?

A word of caution though, when any of us start to install larger and larger diameter wheels or tyres with the resultant increases in un-sprung weight bearing down on each stub axle or each corner of the L322 Range Rovers, appropriate improvements to the suspension system of each vehicle must be made to counter the effects of the extra loads being applied to the contact surface !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
What appropriate improvements exactly? Quite a few people seem to run 275 and 285 widths...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Using the calculator it is not [possible to find a stock 20" 370mm rolling radius tyre combination that gives a 10 value comfort ride!!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts