RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even with the newest Navteq Maps, the quality and coverage of the factory system maps is less than ideal - especially the off-road details.

I hard-wired this Garmin unit to the car for some additional features. It is a Garmin 765T, which has the black body to match. The unit powers on with the vehicle and turns off when the car is shut down. It has the high sensitivity receiver which locks on satellites much better than previous Garmin units I have seen.

I have it set up with the North American topographic maps. These are quite cool. They have thousands off off-roading POI's, geocaching sites, and the terrain quality is superb.

This unit also has traffic updates, 3D building views, and bluetooth for hands-free calling.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can you post pics of the mount ?

What about reception quality ? Does it need an external antenna ?

Also, I only see 1 cable (DC power ?), so I guess it isn't connected to the audio system, right ?

N.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the same unit here in the uk. great unit and would only have Garmin these days having tried the rest. Only thing is they are prone to shafting there screens.
Interesting about the maps though, not very good over here. On the plus side we don't get the ads with the free traffic reports

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've heard the earlier iterations of the Garmin 7xx series have had some screen issues. These newer ones have corrected the touchscreen problems and Garmin has a decent customer service record.

To answer a previous question: the unit is all-inclusive - there are no additional antennas or receivers. I think the 7xx series is particularly good b/c it has a more rugged black case and it features the high sensitivity internal antenna. I think it is supposed to be the sort of do-it-all unit - it has features for marine use, you can take it on the go, or mount it to just about anything with a motor. You can easily flip between Marine maps, Topographic maps, and standard Street maps. I have been at fairly high elevations under some dense foliage and have had zero issues locking on the satellites.

Currently, I just have it wired for power only. I tapped into the cigarrette 12v supply. (and man what a b**** it was to get the front dash facia off! :x ) A previous model of Garmin I had - the older 2xx series had a mini-usb connector. Those have been abandoned for these newer slim connecters. (it still has a mini-usb for computer use) They look somewhat like a mini iPod connecter, but I am not sure what it is called. Another advantage is the power connects to the cradle not the unit itself, so you could swap out units easily. There is an audio-out port so you could connect it to the car's sound system if you wanted.

As for the mount. I have it connected to the left A/C vent (mounts are >10 USD on eBay). I put a plastic zip-tie around it for added rigidity. I went over some series bumps and the whole system didn't budge.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm on my second unit, and this is a referb, however the after sales is good as my first unit went down after 18 months, Garmin changed it over without fuss. You can run a external ariel, i do in the truck. I find that with it the unit does not go for a wander. If you park in the same place long enough it will move around a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts