RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had several oil leaks on my 95 4.6 when I got it. Worst was the rocker gaskets that had pretty much gone solid. After changing them and fixing the PCV I pressure washed and degreased the engine for a while to be able to see where the others were. Usual suspects showed themselves - front and rear crankshaft and sump were the most notable. I’d have a coin size drip on the drive each morning.

I took a punt on Liqui moly’s engine oil resealer about six weeks ago and can confirm after about 900ks only the rear seal continued to leak and after 1,200ks that’s stopped leaking too. I just used one can and it’s done the job - I can confirm there’s oil in the engine.... ymmv but I’m amazed with the results on my car.

The other thing that’s really made a difference on my exterior plastics is the gtechniq c4 trim restorer - it’s magic.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
359 Posts
I bought that Hylomar stuff from Ashcroft transmissions, the white stuff, that works very well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like the Mother's Back to Black plastic restorer.

I also just got some ATP AT-205 leak stuff. The reviews on Amazon are pretty good. Considering what to do with it. Maybe engine gaskets.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve used the mothers stuff - if you think that’s good then you have to try the gtechniq. Have a look on YouTube - I can confirm it works great on early p38s

·
Registered
1 Posts
Usually, it is due to degraded engine gaskets or oil seals. Sometimes these components will erode over time, but more likely than not, if you have this kind of leak, it’s because you have old, dirty oil—perhaps because you have not had your oil changed recently enough.

Damaged Oil Gaskets or Pans

Your vehicle’s oil pans and gaskets can easily be damaged by road debris since they are located at the bottom of the engine. Rough roads can lead to a hole which will cause an oil pan leak. The pan’s gasket usually suffers a lot of wear and tear, or it can also get damaged, which leads to an oil gasket leak.

Incorrect Installations

It may happen that one of the gaskets that keep oil inside is Improperly installed. Most commonly, this happens when the oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket are over-tightened. It can also happen when tightness is not evenly distributed. Another reason can be the improper attachment of the oil filter, as the engine oil flows continuously through it, and if it’s loose, you can experience a leak there.

Bad Rings or Valve Seals

Leaking rings or valve seals can also be contributing to your car losing oil. However, if there are no holes in your gaskets, the oil will not make it outside the engine, so you won’t notice it, as it will get burned up in the combustion process.

Regardless of the specific cause, it is urgent to stop an oil leak, so take your vehicle to the Meineke shop immediately. Following the oil leak, you may encounter the smell of burnt oil, followed by blue smoke and ultimately some major damage to your engine. Do not delay in addressing this issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason for the oil leaks was historical lack of maintenance coupled with blocked pcv. I did 2x oil flushes and changes in quick succession. The plastics/rubbers have lot their plasticity which was very evident on the rockers. I don’t have time at the moment to fix the rear crankshaft seal so thought I’d try the additive based on the reviews. The product claims the esters restore the gasket somewhat but if anything is split it can’t help. It’s surprised me for sure. It would not have had a chance to restore the rocker gaskets - they were stiff and brittle,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is 6 weeks after treating 1995 plastics that have been subject to the Western Australian sunshine and little to no love for over a decade. The clear indicators are new and the grill/headlight trim has been plasti-Dip’d.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts