RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for factory extended warranty since my rrs still under basic warranty. I went to my dealership in SF (BMC) they told me they can only offer me CNA warranty which is aftermarket warranty. I was wondering if there's a factory extended warranty exist for 2011 RRS. I was checking other thread, one of the member said there will be a factory extended warranty ($3500) no deduct offer by LR USA coming. Any update on that news?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Extended warranties are not through LR. They are underwritten by a third party, even a CPO LR has a third party underwriter. I strongly recommend Ford ESP warranties, best I have ever dealt with. You should be able to go to any Ford store, and get one through them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a extended warranty from the LR dealer in Madison. It is a new program offered through Land Rover. It essentially extends the original manufactures warranty out another 3 years and 36,000 miles. There is a $100 deductible, but it is waived if you go to any authorized LR dealer for repairs. Cost $3800 on my RRS S/C 08.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can u PM more info on that, thanks alot.
I just purchased a extended warranty from the LR dealer in Madison. It is a new program offered through Land Rover. It essentially extends the original manufactures warranty out another 3 years and 36,000 miles. There is a $100 deductible, but it is waived if you go to any authorized LR dealer for repairs. Cost $3800 on my RRS S/C 08.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It is a new program offered through Land Rover. It essentially extends the original manufactures warranty out another 3 years and 36,000 miles.
I have not seen this, and it sounds a little strange. Read the contract carefully, good chance it has an underwritter. Extended warranties are not a warranty at all. They are mechanical breakdown insurance policies. Land Rover is not that big of a company (when compared to the likes of Ford or GM, who have their own insurance companies)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Looks like a good option, especially for the money. Even better if, in fact, Ford ESP is no longer available for land rovers?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, you can get a Ford ESP on any car, age and mileage dependent. That is not to say that you can get one through any LR dealership.

You want to be careful, it does not mention anything about covering leaks from the transmission. It also does not mention air suspension components, or the AC condenser. That is not backed by LR, it is a third party warranty, and it is not an extension of the factory warranty. Read every word of the contract, make sure leaks due to seals are covered.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Looks like the Land Rover extended warrantee doesn't cover air suspension components either. I would look into if it covers all the ECU'S in this truck
as well. I personally think these policies are over priced for what you actually get. Then, in most cases you have to fight to get paid! Save your money.. Put it away in a kitty for repairs down the road. Just my 2 cents.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
The only extended warranty policies I would even consider are exclusionary ones, those that spell exactly what's NOT covered, not those that give you "Examples" of what's covered. The policy illustrated in that brochure doesn't sound exclusionary, and whenever it says "Examples of Covered Parts", you can pretty much rest assured that anything not included in the "Examples", down to single bolts and washers, is most likely not going to be covered. In that case, also watch out for tiny asterisks and microscopic type at the bottom of the list of covered parts that reads something like "Unless failure is caused by a non-covered part"... All these companies will fight tooth and nails to keep most of the money you give them in advance, that's the way it works. If you are still willing to play that game, read the contract very carefully. Brochures are masterfully designed to be misleading - the whole industry is, in my opinion. ;-)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I seem to recall a post on here a while back where the poster had his lower control arms replaced via extended warranty and the extended warranty co would not pay for the single use bolts and he was charged him something like $100 for the bolts.

Some people have a very low tolerance of risk maintaining a vehicle, but then throw caution to the wind when buying an extended warranty.

In addition to the above good advice, I would also do some due diligence on the underwriter of the policy, which as RG7 notes is not always easy to figure out. These are considered insurance policies and as such most states keep tabs on the underwriters via your state's insurance commission. At a minimum, find out if they are in fact currently licensed to do biz in your state and what type of complaints they have received.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Yeah, a lot of them will not cover hardware, such as bolts and nuts.

This is one of the reasons I strongly recommend Ford ESP, I have never had an issue with them on things like this. Only time it is an issue with ESP is on high dollar intermittent issues that I'm not able to show the adjuster, and on items that are expressly not covered. Most claims go through without much issue at all, and they usually don't send adjusters out until it's a repair of over a grand or so, which makes it quick and easy to deal with, not having to wait the extra day or two for the adjuster to verify.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I have not seen this, and it sounds a little strange. Read the contract carefully, good chance it has an underwritter. Extended warranties are not a warranty at all. They are mechanical breakdown insurance policies. Land Rover is not that big of a company (when compared to the likes of Ford or GM, who have their own insurance companies)
Just fyi, Ford ESP is no longer part of Ford. It was sold to a PE firm back in 2007--the financial dark days.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/03/02/idUSN0242864620070302

APCO appears to operate as a company called

http://www.easycare.com/AboutUs.aspx

I also find this disclaimer at the bottom of their homepage to be an interesting bit of legal(s)leeze

PLEASE NOTE: Our customers commonly refer to EasyCare Vehicle Service Contracts as extended auto warranties, car repair insurance, or even breakdown insurance, but they are technically neither warranties nor insurance. They are Vehicle Service Contracts under which EasyCare pays for your covered repairs

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Isn't it a shame that in 2013 we are still having conversations like this.?

Why isn't it possible to buy an extended warranty with ALL exclusions clearly printed so the average Person can clearly understand exactly what they are paying for ??

That was a rhetorical question btw.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Being my own underwriter for my RRS's "vehicle service contract" I often tell my indy mechanic he needs to talk to my claims adjuster before I can authorize any repairs.

So, knowing my car is on the lift...and trust me here, a shop hates it when the car is on the lift not earning money...I usually wait an hr and call him back. I'll sit across the street in my brother in law's '72 Monte Carlo watching him with binoculars and when he's good 'n worked up and just starting to put the wheels back on the RRS, I call. Using a deep voice like Cameron from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", I then "work" him.

"We're not paying $1000, I have 3 kids that need to eat" is one of my favorites. He's a big family guy and sponsors my kid's little league team. So it helps to know what buttons to push.

Usually can get a $1000 repair down to $850 and my kid still gets to pitch on Sat.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Yeah, a lot of them will not cover hardware, such as bolts and nuts.

This is one of the reasons I strongly recommend Ford ESP, I have never had an issue with them on things like this. Only time it is an issue with ESP is on high dollar intermittent issues that I'm not able to show the adjuster, and on items that are expressly not covered. Most claims go through without much issue at all, and they usually don't send adjusters out until it's a repair of over a grand or so, which makes it quick and easy to deal with, not having to wait the extra day or two for the adjuster to verify.
+1 I've been using the FORD ESP on my RRS and they have been nothing but great. So far, they've replaced upper/lower controls arms, sway bar bushings, entire steering rack with tie rods, brake booster, brake master cylinder, and brake light switch. Each and every time, I would get an LR loaner from the dealer no questions asked. It has already paid itself off.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
+1 I've been using the FORD ESP on my RRS and they have been nothing but great. So far, they've replaced upper/lower controls arms, sway bar bushings, entire steering rack with tie rods, brake booster, brake master cylinder, and brake light switch. Each and every time, I would get an LR loaner from the dealer no questions asked. It has already paid itself off.
Um, que?
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/41030-ford-esp-extended-warranty.html

·
Registered
785 Posts
Extended warranties remind me of a visit to the Chrysler dealership with the Grand Cherokee for warranty work. This 07 is the only new car that I ever bought.
There was a gentleman there getting red faced and rocking from foot to foot. The part of the conversation that I overheard was, " How come every time I come in here it is not covered? I bought every blinking thing they offered me for warranties. " The Service Rep just shook his head and said that whatever it was was not covered and it would be about $450.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
lol yah, I was a little upset at that point but in the end, they did pay up and the work was done. That was also through LR fort worth which had no previous experience dealing with ford ESP. LR Dallas and LR Houston southwest has a lot more experience with them and I've had no problems since then. Not to mention, the warranty has already paid out more than I purchased it for.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts