Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have just upgraded my 2014 5.0 S/C L494 with a Facelift rear bumper.

As the new Bumper has 6 parking sensors (The old bumper has 4) I swapped over the sensor wiring loom and just connected the 4 inner sensors on the Facelift bumper to the old loom. Trouble is the parking sensors are now showing a fault. I presumed because the later sensors had a different internals / resistance etc.

So I stripped the bumper off to swap over the old sensors from my pre-facelift bumper to the facelift bumper

Guess what - They don't fit! The newer sensors are a larger diameter and the old ones will not clip in and stay. Also the 2 inner sensors have different connector angles. The old ones being 90 Degrees and will not allow assembly into the bumper due to a clash.
Wood Household hardware Auto part Metal Titanium

Auto part Metal Household hardware Composite material Titanium

So I'm back to fitting the new sensors back in the facelift bumper. Can anyone advise if the system can be 'reset' to accommodate the post 2018 sensors in a 2014 car? I'm presuming the sensors have a different resistance or similar between the two?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi you will find the below link useful. This has been discussed before. Page 4. Long story short, most ppl used the old sensor and old loom. You can change out the rubber cap of the sensor to a thicker one as on the facelift sensor and the fit should be better. If not some silicon will do the trick. It is not going to be the prettiest but it is really hard to notice the slight imperfection in the sensor fitting.
for the two extra holes, you can put in dummy sensor I suppose or seal it up and respray if you are planning that. I dont suppose anyone use the facelift sensor on the original car or change out the loom. Most ppl use back the old sensor and old loom and try to fit the bumper. I just did the conversion 2 months back and I did that. Initially one of the sensor falls deeper into the hole and keep sensing it is hitting something. Managed to push out to flush and everything is ok. Goodluck with the modification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi you will find the below link useful. This has been discussed before. Page 4. Long story short, most ppl used the old sensor and old loom. You can change out the rubber cap of the sensor to a thicker one as on the facelift sensor and the fit should be better. If not some silicon will do the trick. It is not going to be the prettiest but it is really hard to notice the slight imperfection in the sensor fitting.
for the two extra holes, you can put in dummy sensor I suppose or seal it up and respray if you are planning that. I dont suppose anyone use the facelift sensor on the original car or change out the loom. Most ppl use back the old sensor and old loom and try to fit the bumper. I just did the conversion 2 months back and I did that. Initially one of the sensor falls deeper into the hole and keep sensing it is hitting something. Managed to push out to flush and everything is ok. Goodluck with the modification.
Thank you Terras.

Ok I did what you suggested prior to reading your reply but thank you anyway.

I fitted the outer 2 (Not the very outer 2 Facelift sensors as they will remain 'dummys' and not touched) with the original old silver sensors (LR 038533) with the newer rubber from the newer sensors. I also added a thin O ring around the old sensor body of the sensor to keep it concentric with the housing as it is smaller in Diameter than the newer sensors. I then used silicone to keep them in place.

Now the issue came with the inner two sensors. The original old sensors had a 90 Degree connector attachment (LR 038084). These will not fit into the Facelift bumper sensor housings as the connector 'clashes' with the bumper and the actual sensor will then not protrude flush with the outer of the bumper. So... I bought two new straight connector old style 'outer' straight connector sensors (LR 038533) thinking they would be the same resistance etc as the LR 038084 and fitted these to the inner positions. Refitted bumper. Guess what - I still have a rear sensor fault!!

Do I have to actually fit the 90 degree connector inner sensors to make the system work?! Surely they can't be internally different? If so i will have to modify the bumper internally somehow
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi there, ok these I cannot really help as mine is the aftermarket bumper from China. So they didnt even have the most outer hole for the rear sensor and so I assume they also makes it easy to fit the old sensor in. Mine was done by bodyshop and they didnt brought this up to me. From the previous thread I attached, the guy from UK also bought a used original bumper so he probably will know what to do. Goodluck with getting the sensor problem out of the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts