RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Is there any elegant way to reattach the thin fabric covering the airbags which run vertically on the left and right hand sides of the windshield? Mine have started to peel away a bit, and because the fabric is so thin, I'm a little hesitant to use any sort of heavy glue there to re-attach...looking for a very lightweight, non colored paste or glue I could dab onto the plastic underneath so the fabric will lay flat again, but I don't want the glue to discolor the fabric or seep thru.

Thanks!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I replaced both those A-pillar trims, the fabric detached just a little at first, but quickly got much worse (a combination of heat and window cleaners / solvents accidentally sprayed on the fabric during car washes), and the fabric also looked pretty yucky courtesy of my smoking... If you caught it early enough I guess you could stop the fabric from peeling any further with the right type of glue, but I have my doubts it would look good or last for very long given the heat / sun exposure of that area. You may be better off replacing those suckers. About $60/each pillar.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
There's a single T-20 Torx bolt under the "Airbag" plastic oval, plus a handful of plastic clips holding the trim in place over the pillar. Basically you pop the oval cover off, unscrew the bolt (which is on real tight - careful as your driver will likely be real close to the windshield - an offset driver or ratcheting wrench would help) and then give the cover a pull, it pops right off.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced both those A-pillar trims, the fabric detached just a little at first, but quickly got much worse (a combination of heat and window cleaners / solvents accidentally sprayed on the fabric during car washes), and the fabric also looked pretty yucky courtesy of my smoking... If you caught it early enough I guess you could stop the fabric from peeling any further with the right type of glue, but I have my doubts it would look good or last for very long given the heat / sun exposure of that area. You may be better off replacing those suckers. About $60/each pillar.
Aha...ok...good advice there...I guess not bad after amost 8 years and 160K miles...and it's true, the internal temp does get north of 120 frequently...
Did you order those parts from BPUTAH or the dealer?

Grazie!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Replaced mine last winter. Easy job. Took about 30 min total.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where did you get the pillars from? Thanx

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Edd China on WD once replaced a headliner with 3M spray glue and new fabric. Perhaps save the old ones and get some blue velour fabric. `)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Folks,

Is there any elegant way to reattach the thin fabric covering the airbags which run vertically on the left and right hand sides of the windshield?
Paul,

I used a child's Elmer Glue stick. I carefully pulled back the loose fabric, spread an even amount on the plastic trim piece, and then gently re-applied the fabric. After laying (attaching) the fabric to the trim piece, I gently (with clean hands) smoothed out the fabric so there were no wrinkles.

Looks like new, and so far the glue has held up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very good site, looks like they carry everything I need to make my rover look new

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks chaps...all very good advice...much appreciated on the tips...I will give it a shot with the glue and if I **** it up, will buy the new parts! I do like the blue velour idea, but maybe will stick with Blue Suede shoes...more appropriate as I'm heading to Memphis to see Bob Dylan again in a couple of days!

·
Registered
123 Posts
thinking about re-covering mine with tan leather to match seats, interior. anyone done this? wonder if i would have problems re-fitting?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
thinking about re-covering mine with tan leather to match seats, interior. anyone done this? wonder if i would have problems re-fitting?
Depending on how thick the leather is it might need a inside notch at top edge to prevent it pushing the headliner but other than that it won't effect fit.

Side note tan is very bold on the A pillars. It's going to stick out like a Dic$ on a fish. Typically A pillars match headliner or the dashboard not the seats. If you have a tan dash it's going to lose its accent and just look continued.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
^^^ 100% agree. You want to make the ABC pillars as invisible in the car as possible--not draw attention to them.

bradInterior.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
the only comparison i can make, i had 2 lotus esprits. both had tan leather wrapped pillars, looked awesome

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I need to remind myself to stay out of car dress-up discussions.:-D

Stick to the mechanical stuff,
stick to the mechanical stuff,
stick to the mechanical stuff, I have to tell myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts