RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely drive into the city, but when I do it is annoying to have to bring cash to pay tolls. I want to get an EZ-Pass/FastLane Transponder, however I know that the Range Rover has a heated front windshield and I expect that this would interfere with the transponder, not to mention having a big ugly white box stuck to my windshield. Does anyone else use these things, and if so how do you use it?

My thought was to mount it on the sunroof glass with suction cups but I worry that I will forget it is there and ruin something expensive. If I just keep it in the center console and hold it up as I drive through the Toll booth will it work? I don't want to get a bunch of $50.00 toll violations to find out.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I have a similar - ugly, you are right about that - FasTrak box stuck with Velcro strips behind the heated windshield of my RRS, on the lowest corner of the passenger's side, so I almost don't see it. FWIW, the filaments in the windshield don't interfere with the transponder at all (or with my radar detector near the rear view mirror), so no worries there. I used to keep it in the center console and pull it out as I was approaching the toll booths so as not to ruin the look of my front end. That worked too, but all that physical exercise got old real fast. :wink:

At least it's color coded with my car:

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
The fast pass system we use here in Seattle is not impacted by the heated windshield at all. Then again we don't have big box types. Ours is a simple small square sticker. :think:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
umbertob said:
I have a similar - ugly, you are right about that - FasTrak box stuck with Velcro strips behind the heated windshield of my RRS, on the lowest corner of the passenger's side, so I almost don't see it. FWIW, the filaments in the windshield don't interfere with the transponder at all (or with my radar detector near the rear view mirror), so no worries there. I used to keep it in the center console and pull it out as I was approaching the toll booths so as not to ruin the look of my front end. That worked too, but all that physical exercise got old real fast. :wink:

At least it's color coded with my car:

I am impressed by that Rocky Lane - how do you manage to minimise rock damage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I keep mine mounted behind the rear view mirror and it is not visible at all from the drivers position and everything works fine. Funny thing happened yesterday. I was having some service done on my Rover and they had to keep the car overnight unexpectedly. I had to drive into the city with the loaner car and totally forgot I had no EZ pass tag and flew right through the EZ pass booth. Good thing I realized it before the exit toll or they would have sent a ticket to the rental company. I did have to max toll for that highway though.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I should be safe, perhaps the signal is stronger than I thought and the windshield won't interfere. Because I take the toll roads so infrequently, I'll probably just hold it up when I drive through to avoid having that beastly thing attached to the windshield.

·
Registered
154 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
I rarely drive into the city, but when I do it is annoying to have to bring cash to pay tolls. I want to get an EZ-Pass/FastLane Transponder, however I know that the Range Rover has a heated front windshield and I expect that this would interfere with the transponder, not to mention having a big ugly white box stuck to my windshield. Does anyone else use these things, and if so how do you use it?

My thought was to mount it on the sunroof glass with suction cups but I worry that I will forget it is there and ruin something expensive. If I just keep it in the center console and hold it up as I drive through the Toll booth will it work? I don't want to get a bunch of $50.00 toll violations to find out.
The EZ pass transponder works fine with the heated screen - I have mine to the right of the mirror so I dont see it. You could also go for the license plate mounted transponder if you are having issues (provided you valet doesn't bash it) Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had no problems with EZ-Pass on the Rover and I use one of the suction cup mounts. I mount it behind the rear view mirror and it is out of sight (for me at least).

Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
When I lived in Chicago it worked fine with the I-pass.

Now back in FL, it doesn't work with the Sun-pass.

:think:

·
Registered
407 Posts
kmagnuss said:
When I lived in Chicago it worked fine with the I-pass.

Now back in FL, it doesn't work with the Sun-pass.

:think:
i have an older Sun Pass as well and they make suction cup holders as well yo. Makes it easier to go from car to car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts