RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 RRS and I've told the dealer that the vehicle has a very rough ride when driving over 35mph and hitting man hole covers, bumps in the road, bridge joints ect. The RRS bounces violently sometimes and I have to grab tight on the steering wheel to keep the vehicle from swerving.

I've explained this to the dealer and had them look at it twice. Both times they say they visually inspected everything, test drove it and everything is fine. He also told me because it's a CPO he can't just start replacing parts if nothing is broken. He didn't want to hear anything about how the parts may not be broken but they are excessively worn. I asked him how to restore the new ride feel and he didn't give me an answer. The vehicle has 50k miles on it and we live in the city of Buffalo that has notoriously bad roads.

Where do I go from here? In general what items would contribute to this? Is it safe to say if I replaced the sway bar and bushings it would be fixed?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
269 Posts
Has the ride gotten worse since you have owned the RRS or has it always been bad?

If you have the Active Sways there was a TSB for replacing the damper\bushings with more compliant and "quiet" versions - I had this done to my 2008 SC. HSE's rarely have the active sways, however.

If the RRS is new to you, then I'll comment that the RRS suspension is firmer and crashes into the bumpstops more frequently than either the RR or LR3/4 - both of which I prefer (current models excepted). My thoughts on my SC were very similar to yours even with the TSB fix; albeit the SC is stiffer than the HSE.

My advice would be to go test drive a RR or LR4 over the same roads to level-set.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
811 Posts
I know that my 09 took a while to get used to the stiff ride. I think it's a Land Rover thing. My son and I once had a 75 Land Rover and I'll swear it had wheels made of cement and no springs in the suspension. It would bounce going over a nickel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The ride gets terrible if the air bags don't have enough air in them. But when properly inflated, it's a tough, but comfortable, ride.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's BS for a service manager to just shun you like that but there are two sides to every story. If you know how recreate the issue then go back and insist that they test drive the vehicle with YOU in the passenger seat so you can show them how to recreate the problem. It's under CPO and it's gonna run out soon. If you just drop it off at the dealership then chances are good that they won't be as thorough in their attempts to recreate the problem. If you make a tech come with you on a test drive then you can show him how you experienced the problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Humm - hard to tell from your description. First up - do you have ACE or not ? (Active sway bar). Is it "bouncing" at both ends ? Or worse at front or back ? Any strange Cluncking noises - when riding straight or under sharp application of brake pedal ? What size tires do you have and what is pressure set to ? First place Id start looking is swaybar bushes and links - if worn they should clunk or creak though - active system is different. I didn't hear of people wearing shocks at 50k - but that is possible. Is there unusual tire wear and how is alignment ( does car run straight at 50 mph on smooth highway?).

If all of the above sound fine - Id take it to a good indie familiar with rovers for an inspection and then take that report to CPO dealer ..

·
Registered
797 Posts
Pete,

I also forgot to mention that I always shoot videos with my iPhone to show them proof that what I say is happening really is happening. If you can recreate the problem and document it with a vid then it's another factor in getting your point across. It's all about business so cover your lol...... Before your warranty runs out. ;)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It really sounds like there is something wrong with your air suspension system. Can you hear the compressor coming on ? When my compressor was going bad it would ride like there was no suspension. Hard as a rock. It should not feel like this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I found that when the struts inside of the airbag units started to go bad on my RRS, the ride got very harsh (worse than my S4 on Eibach sport/race springs). The airbags worked fine, the suspension went up and down like it should, just the ride got stuff as hell. I don't understand what causes the ride to get harsher as the struts wear, but I replaced the front air spring units and the ride returned to normal.

·
Registered
797 Posts
On the 2010 RRS SC (with the wavy road setting on the knob) how hard is it to replace the front air bags vs replacing the whole strut? Should I replace the whole strut or would replacing the air bag be enough?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you have an independent Land Rover service shop in your area? Check around and see if you can get a second opinion. Sometimes the dealer isn't motivated to try very hard to help.

FWIW, the Range Rover Sport should not have a harsh ride and the steering wheel should be very easy to control over bumps. The ride is "sporty" but not harsh. These are pretty refined driving vehicles when working correctly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't believe it is the air bag that is bad, but it may be the strut that is inside of the airbag unit. The strut is available seperately, however it is not worth the hassle to open the unit to replace the strut and seals and re-use the old airbag in my opinion. If I remember correctly, when I changed mine this past summer the price to get the complete unit was about $100 per corner more than just getting the strut assembly. The total was about $300 per a unit.

Installing the front strut assemblies is straight forward and can be done with common hand tools. The only real PIA is removing the three nuts on top the unit that hold it in place. The space is tight and there is not much room to turn a wrench. (The driver's side seems to be more restrictive than the passenger side)

I installed Arnott units, and the installation of the top 3 nuts is easier than the removal because of the slightly different design of the top cap. I've only had them on for only 6 months but have been happy with them.

My theory as to why the ride gets harsh when the struts wear, is that the strut no longer has the rebound/dampening force it should. Therefore, an increased air volumn displaces the strut travel range as more air is pumped into the unit to maintain the set ride higher. You end up relying on a cushion of air for all your dampening and not the internal strut as designed. But hey, that is just a guess--I'm no engineer.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Do you have an independent Land Rover service shop in your area? Check around and see if you can get a second opinion. Sometimes the dealer isn't motivated to try very hard to help.

FWIW, the Range Rover Sport should not have a harsh ride and the steering wheel should be very easy to control over bumps. The ride is "sporty" but not harsh. These are pretty refined driving vehicles when working correctly.
Find that hard to believe. I recall a poster about a year ago who had a new RRS and complained that the ride was rougher than his 911, and unless there was some reason for that he was going to sell it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I beleive that in regular mode on the condition selector knob, the car has a somewhat cushy ride but put it in sport mode and select the wavy road setting (dynamic) on the knob and it stiffens up a bit. I also heard that the car lowers a bit too but I have never noticed this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also am having this exact same issue with my 2012 RRS LUX. Currently at the dealer and they are giving me the same, "that is just how it rides". No way! The rear of the truck bounces around and shoots off to the side, even when you are driving straight. I feel if the computer does not diagnose the issue. Any other help will be greatly appreciated. I will have them check the strut wear as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts