Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front left airbag has a hole/puncture in it and letting all the air out, so need to replace it.

Was curious, how much more time and difficulty does it take to replace just the airbag portion of the strut assembly versus replacing the entire strut assembly?

Reason I ask is that on RockAuto, just the airbag (Cardone) is $128, and the entire strut assembly including the airbag is $211 (Cardone), so trying to decide which direction to go on this repair. I'm only planning to replace the front left strut that is broken, not the other side.
2004 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER 4.4L V8 Air Spring | RockAuto

I found this video tutorial that shows you how to swap a new airbag on an existing strut, but was curious to hear others' experiences.

Also, is Cardone a good brand for strut airbags?

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover HSE
67 Posts
General consensus is to replace the whole assembly as the costs are negligent between just the air bag and the full air spring and shock. You might want to do them in a pair as well as if one has failed the other is likely on its way out. Can't comment on the Cardone brand

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
176 Posts
I agree on changing the whole strut assembly and to also change both sides. I found a pair of new struts on eBay for $285 delivered. They are obviously made in China, but then so are the OE Delphi units. In my case it was the shock absorber on one side and the top bearing that were making noises. The airbags were actually OK. I have had no problems since replacing and am enjoying a silent front end.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,541 Posts
General consensus is to replace the whole assembly as the costs are negligent
Or even negligible. :)

I replaced the complete strut a couple of years back. By doing that I also replaced the worn shock absorbers (dampers) which were original.

Reactions: fiveomar

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I agree on changing the whole strut assembly and to also change both sides. I found a pair of new struts on eBay for $285 delivered. They are obviously made in China, but then so are the OE Delphi units. In my case it was the shock absorber on one side and the top bearing that were making noises. The airbags were actually OK. I have had no problems since replacing and am enjoying a silent front end.
@RR876 Very nice- how long have you had them on your car? I read a review (see here: Amazon.com: Customer reviews: SKP SKAS008 Suspension Strut Assembly, 1 Pack) of one of the cheap brand air L322 struts, the person said it developed a leak within a year. Guessing the rubber material on the airbag itself is not thick or durable enough on some of these cheaper ones.

The cheapest I could find anywhere was this one on ebay for $150 (as compared to the name brand Cardone one on RockAuto for $211):

But no idea on quality, can't find reviews anywhere.

·
Registered
2003 mk3 4.4L
35 Posts
I got the Arnotts (bag only) and it was super easy to put them on. they include a link to their howto video so unlikely that you'll have any problems.. Maybe took me an extra 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
176 Posts
These are the units I purchased in October last year (2020). 9 months later and no problems so far.

It wasn’t the airbags which were the problem for me. In fact, they had been replaced with Arnotts in the past. I had always had a rattle in my front end which caused me to replace every single ball joint and bush but ended up being the struts.

You should replace the paper gasket that seals the top of the strut against the body. This stops water getting into the top bearing. I believe that one of my bearings failed due to a missing gasket / seal here.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've done both - replacing the entire assembly (several times, between my 2003 & 2012), and just t the air bag.
As DFRhodes said, it is easy enough to replace the air strut on the existing assembly, as long as you're tooled right to get the center bolt to come loose. That takes a wrench large enough to hold the nut & an allen wrench to hold the shaft while loosening the nut.
You also have to make sure you keep the seal order right.
I bought the Arnott's from rock Auto (both strut & air bag), and plan on using them again when needed. Of all the various airbags I've used over the years, theirs looks like the best construction (including OEMs), and the lifetime warranty is nice. And they have good instructions to replace the airbag.
It took me maybe an extra 20 minutes or so.
BUT when you separate the two, you'll likely see that some oil has leaked from the strut into the airbag area. That's why there are a few seals though - so not unacceptable amounts.
AND when it's all said & done, I've got the existing shock with xx years & miles on it, and a new air bag - and saved a few bucks, but not enough to make it worth it for me. So I think next time, I'll just but the whole assembly again.
NOTE: Arnott USED TO re-build existing shock assemblies when they were first beginning to support the RR. NOW I'm pretty sure they build their own - and right here in the U.S. I've heard some complaints about them on this forum back when they were beginning too, but I'm pretty sure they've worked through those growing pains.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should replace the paper gasket that seals the top of the strut against the body. This stops water getting into the top bearing. I believe that one of my bearings failed due to a missing gasket / seal here.
Do new air struts usually come with a new paper gasket or do I have to order that separately? I couldn't find it as a separate item on RockAuto. Good source to order from if not included?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ye
Do new air struts usually come with a new paper gasket or do I have to order that separately? I couldn't find it as a separate item on RockAuto. Good source to order from if not included?

Thanks all!
Yes, replace the gaskets definitely!

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the part on eBay. It just a paper gasket and so the pricing is highly variable. I also used a little rtv to ensure a good seal given my failed upper bearing experience.

Thanks for the link!

$15 for a 20cent gasket? Yikes. I'll probably cut out my own with gasket material:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the link!

$15 for a 20cent gasket? Yikes. I'll probably cut out my own with gasket material:
I agree, it’s not even worth 5 cents. I think I paid $4 each but cannot remember where I bought them. I shared the link so that you get the part number and a picture. I’m sure a thin film of rtv would also work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Based on @sb53 's recommendation (thank you sir!), he has had the "maXpeedingrods" complete air strut assembly for 4 years now without issue. So I ordered one from Amazon for $166:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts