RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am a proud new owner of a certified preowned 2008 range rover hse in chawton white. I have only had this new truck for a week and while I love it i have a concern about the exterior paint. The car was in perfect shape and carfax was clean when I drove it from the lot but on my first trip on the highway I had one or two pebbles strike my bumper. It seems these pebbles caused 5 small chips on the bumper including one on the parking sensor. The chips are bad enough that I can see the black plastic under the paint. Every other car I have owned the plastic has been the same color as the exterior paint so these types of chips have not really been noticeable however the plastic of this white range rover is black so I am guessing as I get more scratches this bumper will start to look rather sloppy. Is it normal for range rover exterior paint to chip like this and that the plastic would be black under the white paint or is it possible that this bumper is not original and is a painted replacement? I can live with normal wear and tear but I find it kind of annoying that a car with such a high retail price is so susceptible to paint chipping. In addition to the bumper I also just realized that some of the paint on the roof is rubbing off. Should i bring these concerns up with the dealer, or are these normal and just minor issues?

Here are some photos and thanks for any input,
Art
[attachment=3:2jikn8o5]2009_Oct_15_5D_2649.JPG[/attachment:2jikn8o5]
[attachment=2:2jikn8o5]2009_Oct_15_5D_2650.JPG[/attachment:2jikn8o5]
[attachment=1:2jikn8o5]2009_Oct_15_5D_2655.JPG[/attachment:2jikn8o5]
[attachment=0:2jikn8o5]2009_Oct_15_5D_2658.JPG[/attachment:2jikn8o5]

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
87 Posts
Art,

It looks like the plastics have been re painted and the wrong type of primer has been used. I have seen this before on other vehicles.
If the plastics have been re painted but not with `plastic primer` then the paint will not have a flexible base to bond with.
Plastic primer is less brittle than normal metal primer. Plastics need a primer that allows a flexible movement.
If you use normal primer on plastics then they will not `key` to the surface and just chip and flake on the first sign of impact from either stones or even a high power jet wash!

I have an 03 RR and it has normal stone chips but no real big bits missing more just the very small marks.

I would be careful when washing the areas where the paint is already off as the rest of the paint on areas near to it may come off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree. I think this is the result of a paint job - and I don't mean the factory paint job.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Rememebr that a clean carfax does not mean accident free. A clean carfax simply means no police or insurance reports against that VIN. For instance my P38 has a clean carfax yet has had three body panels repainted from being keyed and trail damage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Artvark did you get this sorted?

I see you have been on the forum but no update!

Don`t be too shy as we only bite if we do not get the update. :lol:

Mr R

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, thanks for asking. I went back to the dealer to pick up my plates and the dealer claims that the same thing happens to his rover. He says he can have the service dept touch all the spots up with paint when I go back to pick up a few random items they had promised me. I have not decided if I should try to make a bigger issue out of this or not. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Art,

The dealer is talking bollox! If his car is doing the same then his has also been painted and also done to a bad standard.

It could be that the dealer has had/done the paint work and this is the poor result.

As for touching in the bad areas, well this is a no no. If they do that, A. It will look bodged and B. It is not going to be a long term solution.

I would not accept this car with the paint as it is.Tell him that you want it rectified but at a paint shop of your choice.

Or get a quote from a paint shop and get the dealer to give you the cost of the work back in cash.

I am sure some members on here will be able to advise on a good paint shop near to you.

Animal

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update, dealer said to bring the car in and he will have his service dept take a look. Does anyone else have a white range rover and have similar issues?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have not been to the dealer yet. I did see another Range Rover in Silver in the parking lot of a local Target and i checked the bumper and I did notice that this Range Rover suffered from the same chipping. It seems there is black plastic under the paint and when it chips the black does show through. Really is this normal or did this Range Rover also have a bad paint job. If this is normal I do find it very poor workmanship for a luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Art,

I use my vehicle quite a bit. It has 72,000 miles on it and it only ever gets normal tiny little marks off stones, etc

Tiny chips are the norm but large chunks out jobs are not. Neither is marks that you have on the roof area.

I would goto an independent body shop and ask them for their advice.

Cheers Mr R

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is nothing comparable to a factory paint job. THEY PAINTED PARTS THAT ARENT PAINTED AND DID A HORRIBLE PREP JOB. I wouldnt have even considered purchasing the car and would chew the dealer out. Make them fix it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to update,

I took the car to the land rover service station and they seemed to be very agreeable about taking care of the problems. They ordered new plastic trim for the roof and agreed to repaint the bumper. I have a friend who leases the same rover in the same exact year,trim, and color and I described the issue to him and he says that his rover suffers from the same paint issues on the bumper as well. I am sort of confused because the rover I saw in a random parking lot at a local target and also my friend's bumper seem to suffer the same issues but I am getting at different impression from this message board. Regardless, Land Rover service seemed to be trying to make sure I am satisfied so I cannot complain too much. Everything else about the car has been great (besides the poor gas milegage).

Cheers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
mine is an '06 and i haven't seen any of this. if i had, i would be pretty pissed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
artvark said:
Just to update,

I took the car to the land rover service station and they seemed to be very agreeable about taking care of the problems. They ordered new plastic trim for the roof and agreed to repaint the bumper. I have a friend who leases the same rover in the same exact year,trim, and color and I described the issue to him and he says that his rover suffers from the same paint issues on the bumper as well. I am sort of confused because the rover I saw in a random parking lot at a local target and also my friend's bumper seem to suffer the same issues but I am getting at different impression from this message board. Regardless, Land Rover service seemed to be trying to make sure I am satisfied so I cannot complain too much. Everything else about the car has been great (besides the poor gas milegage).

Cheers.
I am glad you are in the process of getting it sorted. :) :thumb:

I am now wondering if there is any connection between the vehicles with this same problem? Has LR let a bad batch slip through the quality control check? :shock:
It`s just a thought! :think:

Mr R

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it has to do with the color of the plastic under the bumper. Most cars I have owned had plastic that was the same color as the body so if you get a scratch it is not nearly as visible. However, because the rover bumper is black plastic under the paint, when there is a scratch that goes through the paint the black is showing and it is very obvious. I tried to removed/peel the paint around the nicks but it appears to be intact so i am not sure it is a primer issue. Right now I am waiting for the plastic trim to come in and they will replace that and repaint the bumper.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts