RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the search function on this one but come up empty.

Anyone have experience of extending the ABS cables on a P38? Mine are starting to get tight (especially the back axle) due to body and suspension lift - I've had a look at re-routing, but ideally I'd like to keep the original route and just add extra length.

4.6 HSE Gems (UK)

cheers.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've fitted a later rear ABS sensor to a very early car (which has a much different cable run so is about 3 feet longer) just by cutting the cable and soldering and heatshrinking the two conductors. Worked fine so I can't see why extending them in the same manner wouldn't work. If you use some of the silicon heat resistant cable that is sold for use on electric kettles and the like with glue lined heatshrink to seal against moisture getting into the join, it should be as good as original.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks - my rear cables go along the axle to the diff, then up to the body (rather than from the hub area straight to the body) - I've found a source for the cable, so if joining is that simple then great :dance:

cheers

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You must have a very big lift. I have fitted Arnott GenIII's which give another +2" without any problems. I have got a later 2000 MY which, as Richard says, may have different cables.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It does, from 97 on the hose runs were changed and the ABS cables follow them so go directly up from the hubs. Prior to that the brake pipes and ABS cables ran along the axle to the centre then up to the body and out to the LH rear of the car so the cables are much longer. Despite this, the only slack is between the axle and the underside of the body so a lift will make them a bit short.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts