RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Range Rover Sport with 43,000 miles on it. It is supercharged (V8). Can anyone recommend extended warranties? It seems every dealership recommends a different one and for some reason Land Rover doesn't offer one anymore.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Warranties are covered dozens of times in each forum section.

LR never offered their own extended warranty. LR ONLY covers the factory warranty period and nothing else. The LR branded warranty was, and always has been, a third party warranty. This third party warranty is entirely what ever that company is offering. They vary widely by deduction, coverage and most importantly the exclusions. LR dearlers pay a base fee on the warranties they sell in house and make it up considerably. This is why they negotiate at point of sale for warranties because they can look like the good guy by giving you a discount off their inflated retail price.

Do your research and compare what is important to you. Cut out the dealer go direct to the providing company for the warranty that covers your needs.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Warranties are covered dozens of times in each forum section.

LR never offered their own extended warranty. LR ONLY covers the factory warranty period and nothing else. The LR branded warranty was, and always has been, a third party warranty. This third party warranty is entirely what ever that company is offering. They vary widely by deduction, coverage and most importantly the exclusions. LR dearlers pay a base fee on the warranties they sell in house and make it up considerably. This is why they negotiate at point of sale for warranties because they can look like the good guy by giving you a discount off their inflated retail price.

Do your research and compare what is important to you. Cut out the dealer go direct to the providing company for the warranty that covers your needs.
This is almost exactly what my dealer told me when I was considering it for my MY14. Just make sure it's a reputable company you're buying from. Maybe use the same one that your dealer resells. They'll tell you who it is. Couple of things to consider:

1) Make sure it's transferable to the next owner
2) See if they offer refunds for unused portion (in case you end up trading it in later)
3) Consider your deductible and co-payment. The dealer one wanted $100 for each visit I think which is reasonable.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
12 Posts
I have a 2015 Range Rover Sport with 43,000 miles on it. It is supercharged (V8). Can anyone recommend extended warranties? It seems every dealership recommends a different one and for some reason Land Rover doesn't offer one anymore.
I was in an almost identical situation... Purchased an immaculate 2015 RRS SC DynAmic 5.0 in Nov with 42K miles. I bought it from the dealer , but it was not certified because it was traded in at their sister Porsche dealership across the street, so no extended warranty beyond 50K Miles. Dealer offered a base warranty for engine and drive only for 1600 for two years all the way to a platinum version for about 6k. I wrestled with what to do for a few months and had really settled on the 2 year/ 24k mile version at a cost of 2300 plus a 300 dealer markup... so $2600. The deductible was $100 per visit as well. This was the gold version and included the air suspension components, so it was a done deal in my mind. In the few months it took me to get close to the 50K Miles, I become more and more confident in the reliability of this vehicle and that the $2600 gamble was not going to payoff. I educated myself on the car and systems and the support available... like this forum. I enjoy doing my own maintenance on a car as pristine as this Range Rover and came to the conclusion that I can tackle anything that may go wrong at a cost less than the the warranty may cost and enjoy myself while doing it. This is short of a catastrophic engine or trans failure... and is not the route for all, especially if you do not enjoy a little mechanic work. I was already 2600 in the hole if I went the warranty route and chances are they would have found a way out of covering it or that big failure would have happened the day after the two year warranty expired with my luck at gambling. And that’s what your doing with buying an extended warranty on anything.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has been discussed before, sure. But would be very helpful to members to know what others are paying for what coverage nowadays, right ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2016 RRS 3.0 V6 S/C from the LR dealer. It had 24k miles on it, 18 months from original sale, so 2.5 years left on factory waarranty. I paid $3,495 to get the CPO warranty for 7 years from original sale or 100k miles. So I added 3 years for a total of 5.5 years, and up to 100k miles. No deductible. I thought it was a good idea, maybe a grand more than I thought it should cost, but it is peace of mind for me. They told me, and I don't know if it is true or not, that the CPO warranty price was their non-negotiable "cost".

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
That's not bad for no deductible 100k miles. However I doubt that is bumper to bumper. It's most likely just drive train.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
CPO is every bit as good as the original warranty if not better cause of the longer term. I have the CPO 100k warranty and honestly I think you actually got a great deal on it.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
18 Posts
So, would you say if you have the LR CPO to forgo an aftermarket plan - USAA for example, which I have online quotes for - but for a RRS that has over 25k miles, its a very steep price tag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts