RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found that the extended warranty sold through Land Rover is absolutely worthless? My 06RRSC is in the shop for the prevalent "front end knock" issues that I've read numerous posts about, have pulled up the TBs for, and the dealer is telling me they need me to authorize $500 to do diagnostics to figure out what the cause is. Is it just me or does that not make any sense? Reading the TB tells me step by step what the diagnostic and repair is, because enough of these have been a problem and they've standardized a diagnostic and repair process that works...why would it cost $500 to try and figure out the problem?
I've called Land Rover extended warranty and of course they are absolutely no help. They say the extended warranty only covers mechanical failures. Can someone make sense of this "logic"?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,165 Posts
not saying this makes sense, but the LR assured extended warranty doesn't cover diagnostic time to figure out the root cause of an issue. my indy mechanic explicitly told me it's that way for the dealers/indy shops to sell you on diagnostic time. if the failure is found to be covered under extended warranty, then the shop can bill against LR assured. otherwise, it's on your dime. so that's why they're asking for you to authorize. makes sense? absolutely not. it's crazy double talk if you ask me and really poor from a consumer's standpoint.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it's a double negative and sucks big time.
They're trying to nickel and dime me for a load of crap. Time to "sell back" the remainder of that worthless extended warranty.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Besides the diagnostics time, if I am not mistaken Land Rover's own extended warranty contract doesn't cover TSBs, either. I am fairly certain a service tech who's a member here and checks in every now and then (ibis1? The Boss?) stated that "exclusion" a while back, which also makes no sense to me, but I never owned, read or attempted to use an "Official" LR extended warranty to verify. If you have the contract, read the fine print and see if Technical Service Bulletins are specifically excluded from coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
my last service under LR assured extended warranty went something like this:

problem: complained about front end clunking
solution: indy shop knew front bushings would be covered under warranty so they didn't ask me to authorize any diagnostic time. they'd also noticed they were wearing during a previous visit so we both figured it was time to replace.

problem: air conditioner farting
solution: i provided them the anti-farting TSB and they told me the procedure wouldn't be detailed. instead, they "found" the motor was defective and replaced under warranty - actually updated to the newer part. again, no diagnostic time.

problem: rear audio controls - one behind the driver stopped working
solution: this is where i found out about the "upsell". they swapped the control units and the controls behind the driver still didn't work so it wasn't the unit itself. they suspected the amp, but didn't have one to swap out. this is when they told me how diagnostic time wasn't included. i decided to leave it alone. dealer later found it was a software update.

i guess my point is that the dealer will try to upsell while an indy shop may be a little more flexible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good intel...thanks for the info. I sometimes go to a good indy shop, so it might be time to start using them more.
In the meantime, I'll just eat the costs this time and chalk it up to lesson learned.

·
Registered
93 Posts
umbertob said:
Besides the diagnostics time, if I am not mistaken Land Rover's own extended warranty contract doesn't cover TSBs, either. I am fairly certain a service tech who's a member here and checks in every now and then (ibis1? The Boss?) stated that "exclusion" a while back, which also makes no sense to me, but I never owned, read or attempted to use an "Official" LR extended warranty to verify. If you have the contract, read the fine print and see if Technical Service Bulletins are specifically excluded from coverage.
umbertob,

To clarify this extended warranty issue. First not ALL extended warranties that are sold thru Land Rover dealers are the "official" LR extended warranty, so make sure which one you have, because there are a lot of differences. The Land Rover "official" warranty does not cover diagnostic time generally, but there are exceptions. It is up to each dealer to decide how to cover it. This being said, if the customer is considered "good" and bought the car there, they (dealer) will usually eat the diagnostic time. It's up to them. To try and charge $500.00 up front in my opinion is excessive for that type of repair. I would look for another dealer. As for TIB's it is dependent upon the fault or issue at hand. A lot of TIB's are covered, but never anything that is considered an enhancement or ornamental. Front bushings ARE covered. I hope this clears the air as to the extended warranty issue. ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. As stated, it varies depending on which company the extended warranty is through, etc, etc. I think what they try to do is ensure some of the diagnostic time is at least covered, so the technician isn't essentially working for nothing. Say the tech does a bunch of diagnosing only to find that the extended warranty doesn't cover the repair (insert: software upgrage) then they have to bill you for all of that, so they want to pre-authorize that amount to ensure you're aware that you could potentially pay for all of that work.
It's wacky and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, which I think is intentional. It gives the warranty company an "out" so they're not eating the cost for a lot of the electrical gremlins all Land Rover owners are familiar with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thats a good question whether TSB's are covered - I have a 2006 (actually sept 2005) which I bought CPO and have got the "farting" air con - never considered that being covered - just decided it was a power train warranty

Mind you never actually seen any documentation on the additional 2yrs with a CPO as they tell me its in the system - guess the good news is nothing has broken yet so havent tested whthter it was a saelsman scam or not, but it does come to mind every so often especially as I would like to get the bushings changed out under warrantly before my 2 yrs are up - maybe it will cure the infamous shimmy

·
Registered
152 Posts
Guys, I have gotten EVERYTHING covered under my EXTENDED warranty bought thru LANDROVER at time of purchase...I think it was $2800-$3,000 and its good until 75,000k>>>>
its called "APPCO"
I pay $100.00 dollar deduct.... per visit... it doesnt matter how many things that i need fix....LABOUR is included>>>
for example>>
I complained about the knocking noise..
the dealer replaced upper and lower bushings....
control arms...
and something else that is filled with a gel like substance...
and got an Alignment.....
and I said a noise was coming from the back of the truck
I got my rear sway bar replaced...
NO more KNOCKIng sound... `8)
total price was $106.32
and I roll on 22's... (for guys who say the dealer is telling them its the wheels)
next visit I got my tailgate assembly replaced because I said
something was rattling at the back...
and squeeking rear break pads as per TSB
Total price
$106.32
I have 54k on my ride...
So when I read about all the things and bs you guys are going thru with your dealer and extended warranty that doesnt cover anything
im speechless....
with all the work i have gotten done SINCE the extend warranty has kicked in.... its paid for itself...and I still got 21k of warranty left...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O-Town said:
Guys, I have gotten EVERYTHING covered under my EXTENDED warranty bought thru LANDROVER at time of purchase...I think it was $2800-$3,000 and its good until 75,000k>>>>
its called "APPCO"
I pay $100.00 dollar deduct.... per visit... it doesnt matter how many things that i need fix....LABOUR is included>>>
for example>>
I complained about the knocking noise..
the dealer replaced upper and lower bushings....
control arms...
and something else that is filled with a gel like substance...
and got an Alignment.....
and I said a noise was coming from the back of the truck
I got my rear sway bar replaced...
NO more KNOCKIng sound... `8)
total price was $106.32
and I roll on 22's... (for guys who say the dealer is telling them its the wheels)
next visit I got my tailgate assembly replaced because I said
something was rattling at the back...
and squeeking rear break pads as per TSB
Total price
$106.32
I have 54k on my ride...
So when I read about all the things and bs you guys are going thru with your dealer and extended warranty that doesnt cover anything
im speechless....
with all the work i have gotten done SINCE the extend warranty has kicked in.... its paid for itself...and I still got 21k of warranty left...

That is the same warranty I have. Reading through your list of repairs, the key word is "replaced". Your stealership was able to justify that those parts needed replacing due to mechanical failure of the part, therefore the warranty covers it. In some cases, they'll send out an inspector to verify, that yes the part needed replacing...and judging by the repairs you listed, those seemed like common problems for the the RRS.
There are a couple of things that the warranty is going to cover on my repair, because after going through the diagnostic routes, parts needed to be replaced. Anything that is a software upgrade, isn't covered. I think a good service technician can get creative to "beat the system" but there are still limits on what they can do and still maintain some level of integrity....just my humble opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts