RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question but I wanted to confirm. I tried searching on here and did not find an answer I was looking for.

Does LR offer extended warranty beyond CPO once it expires? My guess is no, but again, I wanted to confirm.

I am debating myself if I should sell my '16 RRS HSE Td6 before the CPO warranty expires or not. My main concern is the potential repair bills should anything happen once it's gone. I've heard owners having good luck without it but I also have heard owners with horrible costly experiences.

I love the rig - it hasn't given me any issues at all and hope to keep it that way, but I have to be realistic too.

Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
It's a risk benefit analysis you have to do for yourself. If you buy a brand new L494 then - how much does it depreciate in 3.25 years?
If you keep a L494 for 3.25 years post warranty then how much will it cost?

Example - my leased L494 V8 from 2016 cost around CDN$ 110,000.
At lease end after 39 months the buyback was around CDN$ 55,000.
That means that the car lost about CDN$ 55,000 in 3.25 years.

Will repairs on my L494 from 2020 - 2023.25 cost CDN$ 55,000?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It's a risk benefit analysis you have to do for yourself. If you buy a brand new L494 then - how much does it depreciate in 3.25 years?
If you keep a L494 for 3.25 years post warranty then how much will it cost?

Example - my leased L494 V8 from 2016 cost around CDN$ 110,000.
At lease end after 39 months the buyback was around CDN$ 55,000.
That means that the car lost about CDN$ 55,000 in 3.25 years.

Will repairs on my L494 from 2020 - 2023.25 cost CDN$ 55,000?
Right. I did not buy my RRS brand new - it was a CPO vehicle and it is still under warranty. I'm more worried about the potential repair costs once the warranty expires. I've heard some owners have had great luck with no major repair expenses and others not so much with their wallets much thinner.

I guess I am looking to hear from owners who still have their 2016 RRS Td6 with many miles (more than 50,000) and see what their experience has been like.

Registered
Enfield鈥檚 advice is about as good as it鈥檚 gonna get. I bought a well equipped 16 HSE l494 new for 80k... today on trade it鈥檚 worth 30k on the high side, maybe 40 retail. I love my sport and for 40k in depreciation I can afford a couple of 2k service bills. As much as it hurts to lose the $$ I know it is what is is... my wife still drives one of the most bad @$$ vehicles on the market and since she is still in lust with it, I do not give 2 $hits about the cost of ownership... Granted, this is a recent observation, it is still accurate...

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Enfield鈥檚 advice is about as good as it鈥檚 gonna get. I bought a well equipped 16 HSE l494 new for 80k... today on trade it鈥檚 worth 30k on the high side, maybe 40 retail. I love my sport and for 40k in depreciation I can afford a couple of 2k service bills. As much as it hurts to lose the $$ I know it is what is is... my wife still drives one of the most bad @$$ vehicles on the market and since she is still in lust with it, I do not give 2 $hits about the cost of ownership... Granted, this is a recent observation, it is still accurate...
Kalen, I take it your RRS is out of warranty and have been for a while? If so, did you have any major repairs you had to deal with?

Registered
This may be a dumb question but I wanted to confirm. I tried searching on here and did not find an answer I was looking for.

Does LR offer extended warranty beyond CPO once it expires? My guess is no, but again, I wanted to confirm.

I am debating myself if I should sell my '16 RRS HSE Td6 before the CPO warranty expires or not. My main concern is the potential repair bills should anything happen once it's gone. I've heard owners having good luck without it but I also have heard owners with horrible costly experiences.

I love the rig - it hasn't given me any issues at all and hope to keep it that way, but I have to be realistic too.
I also have a CPO and I am definitely going to get an extended warranty when the CPO warranty expires. As I understand the process, you need to get the extended warranty before the CPO one expires and I think I recall that the vehicle has to have less than 80K (miles) on the clock. Check with your service advisor at your Rover dealership. I think I recall there are a couple of choices. One through LR and another from an independent company. Of course my RRS Td6 has been essentially trouble free (with the exception of the tailgate constantly trying to knock me down or crush me by opening/closing when least expected), but I don't want to press my luck going into the future.

Registered
Kalen, I take it your RRS is out of warranty and have been for a while? If so, did you have any major repairs you had to deal with?
I am out of warranty yes, but only for a couple of months. I have just shy of 50k. 0 service bills thus far. But when I looked at trading it in on new I decided that service bills will most likely never come close to the amount of depreciation I am at.

Registered
My 2016 V8 is at 76k miles. The only issue I've had between 50-75k miles is a rear differential leak that would have cost about $1000 out of pocket but was covered by extended warranty.

I'm going to eventually get the vehicle checked out by an indy shop before my LR 6 year/100k warranty expires in October 2021.

Registered
This is all good confirmation that I am making the right decision in paying an extra 1200 to extend my CPO to seven years (from 6) before I purchase.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I also have a CPO and I am definitely going to get an extended warranty when the CPO warranty expires. As I understand the process, you need to get the extended warranty before the CPO one expires and I think I recall that the vehicle has to have less than 80K (miles) on the clock. Check with your service advisor at your Rover dealership. I think I recall there are a couple of choices. One through LR and another from an independent company. Of course my RRS Td6 has been essentially trouble free (with the exception of the tailgate constantly trying to knock me down or crush me by opening/closing when least expected), but I don't want to press my luck going into the future.
Right, you cannot get it extended after it expires. Have you gotten any quotes for extending the warranty?

How ironic... somewhat related but my only issue (knock on wood) was the tailgate door hitch not latching onto the hook to fully close. Obviously had that fixed under warranty.

I am out of warranty yes, but only for a couple of months. I have just shy of 50k. 0 service bills thus far. But when I looked at trading it in on new I decided that service bills will most likely never come close to the amount of depreciation I am at.
That is one way to look at it. I'll have to take that into consideration.

My 2016 V8 is at 76k miles. The only issue I've had between 50-75k miles is a rear differential leak that would have cost about $1000 out of pocket but was covered by extended warranty.

I'm going to eventually get the vehicle checked out by an indy shop before my LR 6 year/100k warranty expires in October 2021.
That's not bad at all, good thing you had it covered. Have you gotten any quotes regarding extending the warranty?

Registered
Right, you cannot get it extended after it expires. Have you gotten any quotes for extending the warranty?

How ironic... somewhat related but my only issue (knock on wood) was the tailgate door hitch not latching onto the hook to fully close. Obviously had that fixed under warranty.

That is one way to look at it. I'll have to take that into consideration.

That's not bad at all, good thing you had it covered. Have you gotten any quotes regarding extending the warranty?
Motivology - I would encourage you to explore your options for an extended warranty. If you are under 80K miles, you might be surprised. I used to be an Infiniti owner and I went from a 2016 to a 2008 model just because I wanted to have a V8 once more in my life (FX45). There was a very good warranty available. It cost a lot, (all relative, of course) and I never really needed it. But it was there, if I did. In my 67ish years, I have become a firm believer in being prepared for the worst. Then, you won't need it. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Motivology - I would encourage you to explore your options for an extended warranty. If you are under 80K miles, you might be surprised. I used to be an Infiniti owner and I went from a 2016 to a 2008 model just because I wanted to have a V8 once more in my life (FX45). There was a very good warranty available. It cost a lot, (all relative, of course) and I never really needed it. But it was there, if I did. In my 67ish years, I have become a firm believer in being prepared for the worst. Then, you won't need it. :)
I will definitely explore options - just wanted to see what you guys experience with your RRS diesels. I haven't crossed 50K yet but will soon.

How is your RRS Td6 treating you?

Registered
Get an extended warranty... especially if you love the Rover as we all do here. And especially if you aren't the original owner and the oil hasn't been changed every 5-6K miles. I was the 2nd owner and the previous owner was an idiot and let her run dry for too long. I bought my gently used RRS SC in November and January the engine slung a rod. The Shop Foreman and Master Mechanic diagnosed what happened withing 5 seconds of hearing it run. They tear down the engine and they were both right. 40K in repair bills minus 7K for letting Rover have the core and my s#itty warranty company... if you can even call them that... (Easy Care) is their name by the way... tried to stick me with the bill calling it a pre-existing condition. After lots of prayer and some sleepless nights... they paid all bu $500 of the bill. It literally took an act of God I'm sure of to get the losers to pay for it. Now I've got a new engine far more powerful than the previous with 2500 miles on her. We just got back from a 700 mile round trip vacation trip to the beach. It was the the funnest drive down I've ever had in "Dynamic Mode" for sure.

Moral of the story... yes, the extended warranty is most certainly worth it... as long as it isn't from a [email protected]$tard called "Easy Care"...

Registered
I will definitely explore options - just wanted to see what you guys experience with your RRS diesels. I haven't crossed 50K yet but will soon.

I could not be happier with the Rover. It is the perfect vehicle for our circumstances. It spends the first and last part of every trip in Grass, Gravel, Snow mode, and sometimes has to switch into Mud Ruts when things are really bad on our road. I usually do not have to switch into low-range for the ruts. It is very reassuring to have such competent technology. I just wish there was a technology to keep it clean. I had washed the car when we were in town, this is the result of one trip home. :) The mud routinely gets caked over an inch thick on the lower interior of the doors, up to the first gasket.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Get an extended warranty... especially if you love the Rover as we all do here. And especially if you aren't the original owner and the oil hasn't been changed every 5-6K miles. I was the 2nd owner and the previous owner was an idiot and let her run dry for too long. I bought my gently used RRS SC in November and January the engine slung a rod. The Shop Foreman and Master Mechanic diagnosed what happened withing 5 seconds of hearing it run. They tear down the engine and they were both right. 40K in repair bills minus 7K for letting Rover have the core and my s#itty warranty company... if you can even call them that... (Easy Care) is their name by the way... tried to stick me with the bill calling it a pre-existing condition. After lots of prayer and some sleepless nights... they paid all bu $500 of the bill. It literally took an act of God I'm sure of to get the losers to pay for it. Now I've got a new engine far more powerful than the previous with 2500 miles on her. We just got back from a 700 mile round trip vacation trip to the beach. It was the the funnest drive down I've ever had in "Dynamic Mode" for sure.

Moral of the story... yes, the extended warranty is most certainly worth it... as long as it isn't from a [email protected]$tard called "Easy Care"...
Thank you for chiming in. Your story is one of the reasons why it's hard to trust third-party warranty companies, especially for high-end vehicles like ours. They will try to find a way to not pay the bill, especially an expensive bill like in your case. Glad you were able to straighten them out, even though it took a lot of effort.

I'll have to do some research and see what they go for.

I could not be happier with the Rover. It is the perfect vehicle for our circumstances. It spends the first and last part of every trip in Grass, Gravel, Snow mode, and sometimes has to switch into Mud Ruts when things are really bad on our road. I usually do not have to switch into low-range for the ruts. It is very reassuring to have such competent technology. I just wish there was a technology to keep it clean. I had washed the car when we were in town, this is the result of one trip home. :) The mud routinely gets caked over an inch thick on the lower interior of the doors, up to the first gasket.
View attachment 286542
Haha wow you are using it to its full potential. Glad to hear it does really well in every weather elements thrown at you.

It is an incredible rig, no doubt.

Registered
What offers have you gotten bc I鈥檓 in the same boat as you. Also LR offers third company warranty. They told me it鈥檚 factory bumper to bumper like CNA warranty.

Registered
Thank you for chiming in. Your story is one of the reasons why it's hard to trust third-party warranty companies, especially for high-end vehicles like ours. They will try to find a way to not pay the bill, especially an expensive bill like in your case. Glad you were able to straighten them out, even though it took a lot of effort.

I'll have to do some research and see what they go for.

Haha wow you are using it to its full potential. Glad to hear it does really well in every weather elements thrown at you.

It is an incredible rig, no doubt.
If you have a chance to go to a Land Rover Experience Owners Appreciation Day event, you should consider doing so. Everyone is driving their own Rover, so there is usually a wonderful assortment - from vintage through the latest models. I went to one in Carmel Valley and it was remarkable. The guides know the capabilities of the machines and the course has been designed to use as many of them as possible (obviously not a lot of snow in Carmel Valley). The Experience allows you to get to know what the Rovers are capable of doing and increases your confidence in driving them in challenging circumstances. Many of the lessons involve learning to trust the vehicle to do what it needs to do. Hill Descent Control is a great example of that. You have to place both your feet flat on the floor and just let the system bring you down an incredibly steep incline and then bring you to a gentle stop when the terrain flattens out. A lot of people just can't do it and hit the brakes. But they cannot choose which of the four wheels to brake independently, and for how many milliseconds to engage them to maintain safe control. They would instantly skid - yes, even with the antilock brakes there is a degree of wheel lock-up. None whatsoever with the Rover doing it. It is a lot of fun and you will know your Rover a lot better after taking the course. (My Avatar photo was taken on the course.)

Registered

i have 2016 diesel. still under factory warranty as inservice was 2017.

troubles so far:

Engine went _ replaced under warranty.

i would not drive this thing without warranty.

Registered
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE TD6
I purchased my 16 RRS as CPO. Still has 1.5 years left of factory warranty and pre purchased an extended 5 year full coverage warranty. I鈥檝e owned to many LR鈥檚 to know better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts