RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brain Trust,

I am hoping someone has some sage advice regarding this dilemma involving the OEM Expedition Roof Rack (CAB500139PMA) and needed Fitting Kit (VUB504230).

I had originally thought I might consider the new Defender, but after its unveiling I was not thrilled about its looks (may change when I see it person). As such, I made the decision to keep my 2013 RRS HSE LUX for the foreseeable future (38k miles) and pickup some kit I had been considering such as the OEM rear ladder, pet/cargo cage, and expedition rack. I was able to get my hands on the ladder and cargo cage, but as many here know, the expedition rack is NLA and has been for some time (the other items are becoming more difficult to track down as well). I was lucky enough to find an expedition rack (used), but then realized I need Fitting Kit VUB504230 to install it on top of my OEM roof rails. I can install the roof rack without this kit, but it would entail removing my roof rails and possibly drilling holes in the roof for the four mounting "feet" that are included with the rack (adding a lot of labor cost to the install vs. just dropping in onto of the already installed rails with the needed fitting kit). The rails also allow for a lower install than using the included feet - really hugs the roof rails. My local dealership tells me the fitting kit is NLA, so I tried a couple independent suppliers in the UK who listed the part as "in stock", but of course I just found out that they don't have it (after purchasing).

So, I am trying to decide what to do and reach out for advice and/or suggestions. Also, any one know if a supplier who might have the needed fitting kit? (Side note: I like the Voyager Racks - as they sit low, but I sent four emails to them and never heard back). Any chance Thule or related might have parts that would work in place of the fitting kit - looks like a really simple kit - screws to secure the rack to the rails.

Here are the needed fitting kit and the associated installation instructions:

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Best,
Craig

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,150 Posts
VUB504230 is just the brackets that secure the rack to the OEM roof rails? why this doesn't just come with the rack is beyond me. why else would you purchase it? I presume the rack seller didn't have this? again, not sure why they're hold onto it without the rack. have you tried eBay or the UK site in case anyone busted their rack, but still has these brackets? are these the same for LR3s? maybe that opens up potentials?

when I looked into this, it seemed like too much trouble to make multiple manufacturers work together - from roof rails to brackets to rack. rack manufacturers seemed to only offer two options (if that) - either supported their own roof rails or the OEM rails. you wouldn't have Thule making a bracket to connect the OEM rails with the OEM rack.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Will a Rhino Racka mounting kit fit? maybe with a little modification. Likewise if you want to mount what you have direct to the roof - it may bolt direct to the mounting points already in the roof (there the tracks bolt to) without having to drill holes which I definitely not do.

I have the Rhino Tracks mounted on my RRS and an aftermarket rack with all parts available from Rhino. There are options and you just need to work them through and mix and match if needed.

PC300188

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VUB504230 is just the brackets that secure the rack to the OEM roof rails? why this doesn't just come with the rack is beyond me. why else would you purchase it? I presume the rack seller didn't have this? again, not sure why they're hold onto it without the rack. have you tried eBay or the UK site in case anyone busted their rack, but still has these brackets? are these the same for LR3s? maybe that opens up potentials?

when I looked into this, it seemed like too much trouble to make multiple manufacturers work together - from roof rails to brackets to rack. rack manufacturers seemed to only offer two options (if that) - either supported their own roof rails or the OEM rails. you wouldn't have Thule making a bracket to connect the OEM rails with the OEM rack.
Thanks Phil. The rack actually came with four mounting "feet" in lieu of the needed brackets - for those RRS that don't have the rails already installed. I already have the rails which I would rather not lose just to install the rack, so I need these brackets. I agree, don't understand why it didn't just come with both the feet and needed brackets - the brackets look like such a simple kit.

I checked ebay and suppliers int he UK - was originally told available in the UK and then just told on "back order" which means unavailable. I will look into the LR3 fitting kit - good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will a Rhino Racka mounting kit fit? maybe with a little modification. Likewise if you want to mount what you have direct to the roof - it may bolt direct to the mounting points already in the roof (there the tracks bolt to) without having to drill holes which I definitely not do.

I have the Rhino Tracks mounted on my RRS and an aftermarket rack with all parts available from Rhino. There are options and you just need to work them through and mix and match if needed.

PC300188
Thanks. I was wondering the rack would mount to the holes already used for the roof rails - def don't plan on drilling new holes for this. The fitting kit seems like such a simple piece, can't believe I couldn't find something to substitute. Appreciate the reply (and the Rhino rack looks good).

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Having a similar design of matching feet that slide into the rails for my Baja Rack which results in a nice low mounting profile, I would just find a machine shop in your neighborhood or nearby and show them the design, spec it out in terms of width and thickness needed to slide the metal mounting feet into the roof rails, and a proper spacing on the screws. It's a very easy piece to manufacture. When I went from mounting my Bajarack for 1 season on top of the cross bars to designing the feet with Sergio at Bajarack it was a very easy design process.

I believe you could do the same...

P.D. The only downsides I have heard of regarding the OEM rack is very significant wind noise and it is rather bulky looking compared to a Hannibal or Front Runner...and that was one of the reasons I went also with Bajarack as the front wind screen and bottom wind screen make for a very comfortable ride even when fully loaded up top.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using the roof rack for lumber and other oddities but find the lack of a tie down a problem. I've a 2012 with factory rails and simply needed some tie downs and am printing using ABS to get some cam-lock style to allow easier attachement and removal when unnecessary. PJPR01 is right it'd be pretty simple to fab a bolt through cam-lock style out of 25mm round aluminum stock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Amazingly, a dealership in South Carolina was able to source the needed Fitting Kit, so I didn't have to fabricate them. But, as I was going down that road, I had reached out a restoration shop I previously used for an Alfa Romeo I previously owned. I had the rack shipped direct to them. Of course, project creep set in and I had them refinish the rack and address a couple minor things (small crack, fabricate a new support bracket, etc). Secondly, I learned that the ladder I wanted to install does not fit on the tailgate of a 2013 - it is made for the split tailgate - despite assurances from the vendor, it will not work with the hardware brackets provided. So, the restoration shop fabricated custom brackets, screws, etc - and installed the ladder as well. Overall, really pleased how everything turned out (and not much notable increase in the noise).

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Most excellent result...looking great! Now time to get it on some trails and see some fun "in action" pictures!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most excellent result...looking great! Now time to get it on some trails and see some fun "in action" pictures!
Thanks PJ. Agreed, need some action shots!

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
glad you got it sorted out. time to get dirty :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts