RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rover likes to puke coolent out the overflow tube quite often. Today I decided to test something and looking for feedback.

With engine cold, I can take the overflow tube and blow into it and my breath goes right into the expansion tank. Shouldn't that passage be closed until tank reaches a certain pressure??? Cap has 140 imprinted on bottom.

I know in other vehicles I've worked on, that overflow hose is not active until the pressure in the cooling system reaches above the pressure rating of the radiator cap. My rover has NO restriction of the overflow and wondering if my issue could just be a radiator cap?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

D

·
0 Posts
Not sure how hard you are blowing there... but yes the expansion tank cap acts like a 'pressure relief valve' for the coolant of course (and the pressure it operates at is high). Sounds like it is faulty, as you suspect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how hard you are blowing there... but yes the expansion tank cap acts like a 'pressure relief valve' for the coolant of course (and the pressure it operates at is high). Sounds like it is faulty, as you suspect.
Hardly any force of breath will seep into coolent tank from overflow hose. Not blowing hard at all!

Going to see if I can find a cap local if not will order one online.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
OP, i think i can remember doing exactly the same thing [and being as surprised] until you realise that air has to be allowed back into the system as it cools down otherwise all the rubber hoses will start vac'ing down (collapsing). There may well be a fault with the cap and indeed should be replaced as it's really the first port of call, if it stops 'puking' great job done, if not you've got of other issue's causing excessive pressure.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
I have same issue with my 2.5 DSE after 20 mins idle it starts pumping over, i have changed thermostat,waterpump,visco's fan & cap . it had a new rad short time ago , so i am now in the process of replacing head gasket as seems to be building pressure in coolant . only thing left to try unless it has a crack in head/block but i hope not.

Have you checked your rad is not blocked & thermostat is opening.

Darren

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
22 Posts
Hello there,

I am new in this forum but have been active in the german forum for about 6 months.

Driving my RR 2,5 DT from Bulgaria to Germany I all of a suddent had the same problem. In my case it ocoursonly when I am driving faster than 110 Km/h. The car starts pumping out the water just like you describe and the temperature goes up and eventually the car looses engine performance.

I am just in the act of changing the water pump (but it looks quite ok). The thermostat does not look well, so I will change this as well. In the german forum I have read the cooling systen in the 2,5 DT car is a bit under dimentioned and really need to function well to keep the themperature where it should be.

I will perform the following procedures to get closer to the defect:

Change the water pump, the thermostat and the visco adapter
clean the radiator inside and outside
put it all together and fill it

If the problem is still there, I will put the system under preasure 1,9 Bar and leave it for 24 or better 48 hours under this preasure. If the presure stays constant the cylinder head and gasket should be OK.

In case all above things are OK it can be that the separation wall in the radiator, seperating cold wather from hot water is detereorated or damaged, which will course hot water from the top of the radiator to circulate without really getting cooled down.

I hope having given you some hints and would be greatefull to get some more feed back about your experiances.

Thank you and good luck (to both of us) :thumb:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine used to loose coolant via the overflow tube when I first got it.

I was going to order a new cap (which is the same as a mid 90's BMW one), but on closer inspection I found one of the two large rubber O rings on the cap (the lower one) was chewed up, so I replaced it with an O ring from a assorted set I have and it stopped the coolant loss from the overflow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts