RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, seeing my inspection is coming due soon I am addressing issues that may cause it to fail. I know that I need an exhaust from the cat back but the twist is that the owner before me changed it from OEM to a cost friendly version. Of course I can't find his contact information to see if he had a part list to make things easier. I think this will end up being a guessing game that will take putting the truck on a lift and trying different parts.

The Cat's in the 'Y' pipe were remove and straight pipe welded in. (Yes, the O2 sensors are intact and the job looks OEM.) There seems to be a universal Cat installed where the mid muffler would be and then the end muffler at the OEM placement.

I suppose if I can't find any help here, I will do the above and post pictures and parts for other owners.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What exactly do you want help with?

·
Registered
665 Posts
test it, might pass. at leas it has a cat

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh, you know I may not even need help. Maybe just sharing a thought.....

No, I know I need a complete cat back. Though I did replace the muffler last winter, but the pipe is cracked by the axle curve thanks to rust.

So yeah...

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
201 Posts
I would ditch that CAT after the y-pipe throw on a Magnaflow muffler, no cats sound good and its one less thing to worry about. Ive read on other boards that folks have passed inspections and the sniffer test with no cats. If you truck is tuned up and running good it shouldnt be an issue, I know you can re tune the MAF for a non cat fuel map that is supposed to lean the truck up at idle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on putting it up on the lift on the weekend of the 20th. So, then I will know better on what I want.....

A cat is required if it came with one from the factory, although I can straight pipe a cat and it will pass inspection. Because of it's age, they don't test the emissions just make sure the parts are there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after the mid-pipe finally broke this week. Today I dove in head first to replace the exhaust from the cat back. I am not very proud of the work and seeing we spent more time in the back room of the autoparts store matching parts than installing the complete system. Two hundred and fifty dollars later, the 2.25 pipe is purring like a kitten.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts