RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I get my RR back from having the brake problem fixed... I'm thinking about making the V8 sound a little more audible. My idea is to weld from the middle muffler a large pipe and a suppressor at the end in place of the end muffler.

Has anyone tried this or is there other ways of making a little more noise?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Allright.. I have seen a guy who took an exhaust (end) from a peugeot 205 GTI (or whatever). It was certainly a BIG silencer and the sound was incredible!

Just like a V8 should sound.

Only costs 'a couple of bucks'.... :)

Regards,
Goswin

·
Registered
641 Posts
just remove the exhaust after the Y-piece joins the 2 sides together ??? it'd only sound like this . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWkzLyW_II

:shock:

Actually, the more i watch that vid of mine, the more i think i really should try and make my own centre pipe . . .

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
164 Posts
I removed the rear silencer and welded a straight pipe on , dosn't make a huge difference but enough to make it sound a bit more v8 like . at around 1500 - 2000 rpm it sounds pretty sweet.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
There are also a couple of other threads, recently added to, regarding exhaust changes and their outcome. They should come up with a couple of searches and give you alot more input.

·
Registered
264 Posts
fisha said:
just remove the exhaust after the Y-piece joins the 2 sides together ??? it'd only sound like this . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWkzLyW_II

:shock:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Holy cow!! I need to do something to mine now!! lol i can hear the v8 from the cab when i floor it but that was just immense!

·
Registered
128 Posts
WOW! that sound is crazy, your not even rev'ing it :lol:

I put a quad SS system with sports cat on my RR and it just gives me a nice rumble.

I had a new system on my Lexus the other day which is a V8 as well but only a 4.3... I thought that was pretty loud but nothing like yours :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdmPktX8Fr4

·
Registered
233 Posts
I never realized my rig sounded so whimpy, until now. I might not want to go that loud (neighbors and all) but it would be nice to have a throatier sound to the V8. What kind of effect do these exhaust changes have to performance, if any?

·
Registered
641 Posts
If its anything like the RRC, then the bulk of the muffling is done by the centre silencer. Take that out and you'll be letting the bulk of the noise through to the rear boxes.

I know of nothing off the shelf that is a drop in fit straight through pipe . . . .which is a pity considering there are similar products for the diesel land rovers such as 90's and discos.

The centre silencer section is a pretty easy fit . . . and having it off on the ground when replacing it, it wouldn't be too hard to make up your own pipe work i dont reckon. I just dont really know where to source the right parts from at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just replaced mine with the Borla muffler and it's got a nice rumble to it. Not too annoying but sounds a little more throaty. About $150USD + Labor of about $75USD.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
What can i say : i have one and i love it.
I emptied the cats recently.
I did start my engine with no exhaust at all. It's way too loud. Imagine a Custom Chopper with a very loud sound.

One day i'll try without the center silencer but with RPI twin end silencers.
It could be fun, but maybe not on a long highway journey

Cheers

Flo

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Sound is a pressure wave. Pressure decreases with the square of the the distance from source. Thus, the easiest way to increase the noise is alter/remove, the restriction closest to the explosion - the cats...

LPG fowls up the cats after a while anyway, so it was only logical to remove them on my own rig. :) For about 8 months (starting last November), I only had a hi-flow centre silencer with a 2.5" pipe throughout. It sounded very nice and power was up (a lot) across the board. LPG performance was better than petrol perfomance was before the change!! The only downside was the 'drone' at cruise (- similar to the WWII movies of Lancaster bombers). I've always liked driving my Rangie, but with that exhaust fitted, then you were happy when you'd arrived at your destination, as you could then switch her off and regain the quiet that you'd lost for the past xx hours (- not really something that's nice to admit about your auto).... Thus the reason why last month, I got a fairly free flowing 'resonator' put in the rear. It now sounds quite significantly quieter, especially at cruise, but has lost a bit of the raw edge that I had for 8 months. It can be frustrating now as taking people from the lights is now more tricky, wheras a month ago there wouldn't have been a problem (- especially with the number of cars with turbos and turbo lagggg). I don't care though, as I'm sure my ears will thank me for it in years to come. :)

Have a read of the following for a discussion on exhaust changes from a while ago:
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14253

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
kmagnuss said:
pics please.
An old one without year 2000 lights

Cheers

Flo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts