RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am looking to install an aftermarket exhaust system onto my RRS SC. I was hoping for something to give it a real raw sound as well enhance the performance any referrals to good sources to find this?

·
Registered
318 Posts
freshtodeath said:
Hey I am looking to install an aftermarket exhaust system onto my RRS SC. I was hoping for something to give it a real raw sound as well enhance the performance any referrals to good sources to find this?
Everyone here is going to tell you to save your money and remove #7.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He never mentioned anything about performance. He just said he wants a good sounding exhaust.
Boral and Magnaflow both make great exhaust for about $1k.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I removed EVERYTHING from the cat back, replaced with 3 inch tubing and magnaflow mufflers. sounds amazing especially in Sport mode. you're not going to get an increase in power with exhaust alone. if you coupled that mod with an esu flash and maybe an air intake you MIGHT feel something. in order to feel and increase in power from a vehicle that weighs almost 3 tons is gonna take some drastic measures. my local muffler shop in the south bay only charged me 500 bucks including chrome tips. fills in those arches on the back spoiler nicely.

IMO the exhaust is for sound, and let me tell you, people notice! the best feeling is when someone is walking on the sidewalk ahead of you and turns around to look before you even reach them!

PRICELESS!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Same - took out off the various mufflers \ resonators, replaced all with tubing and a magnaflow muffler in the center, and tips at the end. Sounds good.

I read on one of the earlier threads that it could not be done on a 2010 - someone ran in to. freshtodeath - not sure what year you have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cameradude said:
I removed EVERYTHING from the cat back, replaced with 3 inch tubing and magnaflow mufflers. sounds amazing especially in Sport mode. you're not going to get an increase in power with exhaust alone. if you coupled that mod with an esu flash and maybe an air intake you MIGHT feel something. in order to feel and increase in power from a vehicle that weighs almost 3 tons is gonna take some drastic measures. my local muffler shop in the south bay only charged me 500 bucks including chrome tips. fills in those arches on the back spoiler nicely.

IMO the exhaust is for sound, and let me tell you, people notice! the best feeling is when someone is walking on the sidewalk ahead of you and turns around to look before you even reach them!

PRICELESS!
I'm going to bring it to my mechanic and see what he can do with this... is this a sophisticated job?

·
Registered
69 Posts
not at all, an experienced muffler dude/welder can do it in a couple of hours. i grabbed lunch and waited for it. worth every penny.

·
Registered
318 Posts
MrFRESH said:
He never mentioned anything about performance. He just said he wants a good sounding exhaust.
Boral and Magnaflow both make great exhaust for about $1k.
He never did? So then I was imagining his line saying '...enhance the performance'??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cameradude said:

PRICELESS!
where can I purchase a magnaflow muffler for my car? as well as some nice tips.... I was hoping to get dual mufflers on each side

I'm taking my car into the shop as soon as I find good parts!

·
Registered
69 Posts
any muffler shop will have magnaflow mufflers and a plethora of tips to choose from. they should have dual tips for each side. if you're in the South Bay there's only 1 shop that i can recommend. San Pedro Muffler. you can't beat their prices and workmanship. talk to Tim.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
freshtodeath said:
where can I purchase a magnaflow muffler for my car? as well as some nice tips.... I was hoping to get dual mufflers on each side
Got a good deal on Amazon
With free super saver shipping. Or he can go through ebay. A+++ Would install exhaust again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
freshtodeath said:
If you're lookin out for a raw one I think Borla should be the one and it's easy to fit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The older post about removing #7 (had diagrams and lots of info) said that doing this on a 2010 didn't have the same benefit or improved sound as it had on pre-2010 models. From what I recall, the resulting sound without #7 was wheezy and/or whiny, not at all what you'd expect (or were looking for).

Since the 2010 RRS SC has two large mufflers/resonators under the center of the vehicle plus small muffler units before the tips, it suggests that there was a reason for LR putting them all there. It's quite possible that removing the resonator, or removing both underside units would result in resonance or drone, which for most people is unbearable, especially on the highway. Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out, and that's to try it. If you end up doing this, or some combination of parts removal, please let us know how it works out for you.

I went through 8 different muffler and exhaust configurations on a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi, with each one generating huge amounts of drone and resonance between 1500 - 2200 rpm. I spent a couple of thousand dollars on all of this, and in the end, the OEM system went back on. I tried resonance panel control in the truck cab, adding weights to the muffler and exhaust system to lower the resonant frequency, an adjustable exhaust cutout, and various mechanical filters in the exhaust path to add resistance and slow the gases down. And although there were plenty of other 2005 Hemis with Magnaflow mufflers or exhaust systems welded on that sounded great and had no resonance, mine just wouldn't work. There's probably a slight vehicle-to-vehicle variability that may be a factor.

Good luck and keep us posted! If anyone finds that older post showing #7 and its removal, can you please re-post it for us?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Found the link - here it is: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21668&hilit=%237

There was one person who reported bad resonance after removing the stock muffler and resonator and adding a large Magnaflow muffler, and that was on a 2008 RRS SC. I couldn't find the post that talked about results on a 2010, and I don't think anyone who tried this (in the older post) had a 2010.

I'm looking for a local exhaust specialty shop to see what they can recommend for my vehicle. I may try removing #7 but have a feeling I'll end up with Borla or something similar.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I posted the same question on the 2010 RRS. Only thing I've come up with is to deal with a shop that deals with stainless materials and custom make one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts