Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
Im loving my v8 but would like to have a bit more sound do you think I could remove large silencer
in middle of RR and replace it with a length of pipe to get some more sound
has any one done this
andy

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
That has been done by several members. Removing the rear resonator is also an option depending on how much added tone you are looking for.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
Mine has no cats - well, except when Suzie the workshop cat (Felis Silvestrus Diagnosticus) takes up residence - and it sounds more-or-less indistinguishable from an unedited one. I suspect the middle pipe surgery will give you a nice woofy boom from the V8, and leaving the middle box but removing the back boxes will give a farty rasp.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine has no cats - well, except when Suzie the workshop cat (Felis Silvestrus Diagnosticus) takes up residence - and it sounds more-or-less indistinguishable from an unedited one. I suspect the middle pipe surgery will give you a nice woofy boom from the V8, and leaving the middle box but removing the back boxes will give a farty rasp.
Are you running LPG or petrol? I saw RPi had some stainless non-cat front ends for sale, but they said the were for LPG. I didn't think you could run a P38 petrol V8 without cats and still pass the emissions part of the MOT.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are you running LPG or petrol? I saw RPi had some stainless non-cat front ends for sale, but they said the were for LPG. I didn't think you could run a P38 petrol V8 without cats and still pass the emissions part of the MOT.
In the UK a P38 on LPG should pass the emissions without cats and the tester should carry out the test with the vehicle running on whatever fuel it was presented with, not switch back and forth. However, you'll note that the exhausts mentioned have small "non-restrictive silencers" where the cats would be so that they look like they are fitted and pass the required "cats present" visual test.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Of course it's on LPG ;-) In this case, the previous Finger-Tight Malcolm has cut the sides out of the cats, removed the insides, and (badly) welded them back up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Of course it's on LPG ;-) In this case, the previous Finger-Tight Malcolm has cut the sides out of the cats, removed the insides, and (badly) welded them back up.
You're lucky. The Hong Kong Government won't allow private cars to convert to LPG because they heavily subsidise it to encourage commercial vehicles to convert and help reduce our huge pollution problem. Until very recently, it was impossible to purchase a private car running on diesel because that was subsidised too.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Until very recently, it was impossible to purchase a private car running on diesel because that was subsidised too.
That should become worldwide, the ban that is, not the subsidy. There was a news story in the UK recently that said that the Government were considering increasing the road tax on diesels and charging more for them to enter cities as it has finally been realised that, despite the efforts of manufacturers to cut the emissions, they still pollute far more than petrol cars.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...racks-down-on-Britain-over-air-pollution.html
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/49...-road-tax-charges-hit-diesel-drivers-EU-rules
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/diesel-drivers-may-face-higher-costs-pollution-battle
http://news.sky.com/story/1309480/dirty-diesel-drivers-face-new-tax-in-cities

and plenty of others all saying the same thing. As a motorcyclist as well as a Range Rover driver, I can tell you there is nothing worse than being stuck in traffic behind a diesel car with the stink from the exhaust drifting up inside your crash helmet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi mate not to sure where to go now definatly want to open her up but now wondering if changing rear boxes would be
better than center box ?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
As you are running on LPG you can bash the guts out of the cats so it looks like they are still there but don't have anything inside them. That will give it a bit more of a grumble. The centre box is easy to take out. One end is just a straight pipe but the other end has a slight S bend in it. You can cut the silencer out and weld a straight length of pipe in it's place. If it's too noisy it isn't too expensive to replace it with a new one, around £50 if you shop around. If you've got the twin tailpipes though, they are expensive to replace if you don't like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.