RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 08 RRS SC, and have noticed lately when accelerating with the windows down, that there is a pretty loud exhaust leak type noise/"accelerating old pick-up truck" sound coming from the engine?

Has anyone experienced this, or have opinions on what the noise could be?

Thanks again.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
That's not an exhaust leak,that's the sound of the intake sucking in air,and probably also the supercharger winding up.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have completely noticed this as well. It's really not an intake sound. You can only hear it outside of the car. An intake sound is much throatier, and a supercharger sounds like a dying power steering pump. (Love that sound though)

I agree with the OP. When you step on it, these things sound like old pickup trucks. I'm kind of surprised, but they run just fine. We really thought is was an exhaust leak too, so I'm glad to hear someone hears this same sound.

·
Registered
458 Posts
By the way, I knew I remembered this, because my guess that week was some sort of Range Rover Supercharged. Listen. It's a Bentley, with that same, ugly sounding exhaust note.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/name-that- ... pisode-24/

Hope this makes you feel a little better that more expensive cars can sound just as ugly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yep, get the same noise on an '06 HSE. Does kinda sound like an old pick-up truck and I've considered doing the exhaust mod to mask it a little bit. But it runs great so I'll leave it alone for now.....

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
so...I hear the air sucking sound coming from the air intake, but since I have a Borla system with a Maganflow muffler, I get the deep sound when I hammer it...maybe the stock muffler system then is creating this noise you are describing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys.

PJPR01.....It's definitely not supercharger whine, and I don't think it is the stock muffler system. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay. You can hear it the most when the car initially revs under load before increasing speed. It reminds me of an exhaust manifold gasket leak or something, or worse, some sort of engine tapping noise when under load.

Weatherman.....That's it!.....you know exactly what I'm talking about. That sound-clip of the Bentley when taking off from a stop is the kind of noise I am referring to. I haven't really notice until I drove around with the windows down last night.

Thanks geflackt....I'm glad other people have this sound and that it's not causing any issues, but I can't believe this is normal? I'm taking it in to the dealer on Wednesday to have it checked out....We'll see. Borla may be a good mod to make any way.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys just picked up my 06 RRS S/C. I came from an 05 S4 with alot of exh. work. Noticed this noise as well, and it kind of annoyed me. So this is how they sound when they are new??? Anyway, what do i have to do to get rid of it? Does an aftermarket system help?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
06RRsportSC said:
Hey guys just picked up my 06 RRS S/C. I came from an 05 S4 with alot of exh. work. Noticed this noise as well, and it kind of annoyed me. So this is how they sound when they are new??? Anyway, what do i have to do to get rid of it? Does an aftermarket system help?
I don't hear it on my HSE. Maybe its a S/C thing?

Since its an older RRS, have a mechanic check for an exhaust leak
or,
On a higher mileage engine it could be the hydraulic lifters.
1. Check that the oil level is correct.
2. Since you just got it, I would be inclined to do an oil change making sure I had the correct
weight oil in there...and be grateful your '06 has a dipstick.
or,
Injectors tend to get noisy over time as well and they can sound like an exhaust leak. If you're near Ann Arbor MI. PM Nooro and see if he'll lend you his stethoscope. If not, there are quite a few med school students on this forum, I'm sure someone can help out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh goosey.... since im going into dermatology and have no need for my stethoscope after this year... i'll send it over free of charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I have to say is that The best day of my life was when i Sold my Piece of **** RR Supercharged piece of junk! Went back to the Real Brand AUDI BABY! nothing like the sound of a REAL V8 in my S5 Revvin up soundin like a Finely Tuned Orchestra, not that Jaguar Ford Garbage, 400 horses my ass, I have a 4.2 N/A Audi V8 that just dynoed 382 to the wheels! Im sorry guys, but Range Rover Sports are Garbage, Ive never seen a vehicle with so many phantom issues. SEEEE YAAA NEVVERRRRR *:D*!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Thanks for checking in and good luck with the S5.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
All I have to say is that The best day of my life was when i Sold my Piece of **** RR Supercharged piece of junk! Went back to the Real Brand AUDI BABY! nothing like the sound of a REAL V8 in my S5 Revvin up soundin like a Finely Tuned Orchestra, not that Jaguar Ford Garbage, 400 horses my ass, I have a 4.2 N/A Audi V8 that just dynoed 382 to the wheels! Im sorry guys, but Range Rover Sports are Garbage, Ive never seen a vehicle with so many phantom issues. SEEEE YAAA NEVVERRRRR *:D*!
Cool Story Bro :snooty:

Oh goosey.... since im going into dermatology and have no need for my stethoscope after this year... i'll send it over free of charge.
If you send it to me, I could sell it to the MS1's next year and split the profit :wink: (Although that's chum change compared to the ipad AND laptop they make them buy now)

As for the OP, I have an HSE and removed resonator #7. Me and my guy friends love the sound, not too loud, but enough to know it has a v8 under the hood. My gf however is not a fan, understandably. I don't find the noise to sound like an old truck at all, but a rather deep burble, almost nascar like sound. The sound on the overrun is really nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts