RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone keep the exhaust heat shields on?

Are they really needed for the operation of the vehicle, or is it more a health and safety thing?

It's just they're such a pain in the backside to fit that I wanted to leave them until I was happy everything was 100% - any opinions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
exhaust heat shields on bottom of catalytic will keep your Pride and Joy RR from catching on fire when you park it in deep dry grass this fall.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it's the tricky ones on the manifolds that I'm talking about

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
280 Posts
im wondering to, couse im in the midle of taking all things back together

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems nobody is willing to say it will be OK without them!

I'm surprised that nobody has jumped in and said they haven't got them fitted :think:

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I wouldn't run without them. You have knock sensor and O2 wiring behind the back side of the shields. On the outter side you have suspension air bags, power steering, wheel well liners. Above you have spark plug wires and heater core hoses. In front you have oil cooler lines, starter cables and ground cables.

They were put there for a reason... think about it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
170 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
I wouldn't run without them. You have knock sensor and O2 wiring behind the back side of the shields. On the outter side you have suspension air bags, power steering, wheel well liners. Above you have spark plug wires and heater core hoses. In front you have oil cooler lines, starter cables and ground cables.

They were put there for a reason... think about it. :mrgreen:
I was about to say the same thing. I would leave them on, otherwise you probably will melt something important, and never know what it is.

G

·
0 Posts
My truck has never had them. I think the dealer that replaced the headgaskets before I bought it was lazy and never refit them. I've never noticed any ill effects in the past 5 1/2 years, but after reading this I'm going to see if I can find a pair of them.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Max, the parts car has them i'm sure..I owe you, so somthing tells me your gonna make out like a bandit.. :lol: 8)

Scotty

·
Registered
320 Posts
It can get bloody hot underneath the hood...and that's in our temperate lowlands climate. Also I'm sure the battery cover is thick & insulating for a reason.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I found not all V8's have the heat shields. The older ones, with the 4-in-1 'boxy' exhaust manifolds do, but the newer ones, 4-2-1 and curvy, don't (including the Bosch engine's I've worked on). Not sure if there is a difference between 4.6 and 4.0. It could be a coincidence both 4.6 have them, as they're also the 2 oldest cars (and one of them was originally a 4.0 the previous owner had upgraded).
The curvy manifold look like they should be better performance wise, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the better part of a day matching the channels to my ported heads just to replace the already matched older types...
I did leave the heat shields on BTW.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
777 Posts
My right side has not had a heat shield on it since I've owned it, the left side has one. I've also removed my hood noise/heat shield. I've found no problems related to heat yet (keywords: found and yet).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Escape said:
I found not all V8's have the heat shields. The older ones, with the 4-in-1 'boxy' exhaust manifolds do, but the newer ones, 4-2-1 and curvy, don't (including the Bosch engine's I've worked on). Not sure if there is a difference between 4.6 and 4.0. It could be a coincidence both 4.6 have them, as they're also the 2 oldest cars (and one of them was originally a 4.0 the previous owner had upgraded).
The curvy manifold look like they should be better performance wise, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the better part of a day matching the channels to my ported heads just to replace the already matched older types...

Greetz,

Filip
I have a Bosch 4.6 and it definitely has them fitted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
AMcK said:
Escape said:

Greetz,

Filip
I have a Bosch 4.6 and it definitely has them fitted.
Same here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The exhaust manifold heat shields were left off when we put a new engine in about 8 years ago.
JUST HAD A FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY A FEW WEEKENDS AGO.
We were working it pretty hard up the beach in soft sand, as I have done numerous times before, and smelt something. Got out and checked and there were two small fires on the firewall - the larger one with flames licking up to bonnet height from down behind the engine! Put them out with sand and can't see any damage!! The fire was licking up around the coil packs, plug leads, wiring harnesses, etc.
Checked it over, changed my boxers, started her up and kept going. Needless to say I've cleaned the 18+ years of accumulated oil & dirt off the firewall and now looking for a set of heat shields!! (anyone got a source?)

The other heat shields for the height sensors, cat. converters, etc have all long ago perished and fallen off or been removed as well.

Jason
'97 4.6 P38 Brisbane, Australia

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
No clue down under save for breakers. New there is always the usual parts sources. needless to say the heat shields are not your issue though. the heat shields protect surrounding wiring, hoses etc from the exhaust manifold and y pipe heat. Your issue is lack of cleaning your rig. the accumulations from oil leaks would have most likely caught fire anyway as it would have been on the block and down the sides next to the exhaust and thus under any heat shields. The remaining oil and crud on the fire wall is jsut a bonus for your cleaning practice. ;-)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Although there a pain to get all the bolts in, I've put,one back with the 2 off the manifold brass stands, had no problems, as for are they nessary, if you want your HT leads melted, then no,

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wrapped mine on my replacement engine, as the ones on my old engine were never going to come off without a fight and were in a bad way.

The wrap is some kind of magic. Keeps the surrounding areas far cooler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good call RRToad, a bit more lovin under the hood on my behalf required.

Chris & Graham, I certainly had thought about wrapping the extractors with lagging. It should be effective and one sees it on many trucks & industrial engines. I'd be interested in further thoughts on this.
The HT leads are obviously very resistant to damage as I've been running without heat shielding on the P38 and another car of mine, a'68 Firebird :), for years. Actually, thinking about it I haven't seen too many hi perf cars with shielding.

I just found the AULO website so I'll post on there for some ideas too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts