RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 RRS ATB that I bought with ~20,000 miles. I took it into the dealership for something unrelated with around 25,000 miles on it and they said that my rear brake pads are down to 5mm and are recommending I get them replaced. He said the front brakes are fine (didn't get the # though).

I can't speak for how the previous owner drove it, but I drive it rather conservatively and rarely ever brake anything close to hard. Does anyone know if this much rear brake wear (vs. front wear) normal? Seems a bit excessive to me, but maybe it's normal.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
47 Posts
My car (RRS Supercharged) had brakes replaced (pads + rotors) every 8k miles before I bought it at 25k. It's been almost another 8k miles now so I need to check them. I'm guessing the rotors were fine but the stealership was fleecing the previous owner for a full replacement because it seems odd that brakes would need to be serviced that often. In many cases, as long as you replace the pads early enough, you can avoid doing the rotors if they're in good condition (no cracks, etc.).

Buy the pads, do the swap yourself and it should only be around $200. It's a pretty easy process, once you do it once, you'll learn a skill for life. I'm guessing the dealership will be much more expensive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car (RRS Supercharged) had brakes replaced (pads + rotors) every 8k miles before I bought it at 25k. It's been almost another 8k miles now so I need to check them. I'm guessing the rotors were fine but the stealership was fleecing the previous owner for a full replacement because it seems odd that brakes would need to be serviced that often. In many cases, as long as you replace the pads early enough, you can avoid doing the rotors if they're in good condition (no cracks, etc.).

Buy the pads, do the swap yourself and it should only be around $200. It's a pretty easy process, once you do it once, you'll learn a skill for life. I'm guessing the dealership will be much more expensive.
Useful info thanks. I've swapped brakes (and full brake assemblies in the past) on other vehicles. Anything special with the RRS? Any good tutorials you can share?

Side note: they quoted me $600 or so for the rear pads.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,443 Posts

Apparently replacing the rear pads on these vehicles is not an easy process. A programmer needs to be used to release the emergency brake. A few have tried. Some have failed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Apparently replacing the rear pads on these vehicles is not an easy process. A programmer needs to be used to release the emergency brake. A few have tried. Some have failed.
Me. I tried & failed. I suspect that the rears on my rig wore quicker due to my religious use of the e-brake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts