RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering because I was out on some sand dunes and tried climbing a steep one and had back down because I got into some soft stuff and the right far was the only wheel spinning. Can the differential be locked?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
from 89 to 95 nas ranges came equipped with a borg warner transfer case, this unit is chain driven and uses a viscous coupler mounted on the front of the t case. this vc splits power 50/50.
main reason for this case design is silent operation, with little driver input needed during normal operation and driver selectable low gear in off road mode.
in 1993 land rover introduced traction control on the range rover, this however was available only on the rear axle until 1995 in the classic...the p38 took advantage of all wheel traction control, this was not made available on discoveries until the d2.
thus in the 95, you have selectable low/hi range and rear axle "only" traction control but do have permanent all wheel drive like all other rovers.
I think I read where someone attempted to gain 4 wheel traction control on a classic by retrofitting a p38 brake master cylinder (which houses the abs module and plumbing) and a p38 abs ecu...don't know of the level of success.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Think it just needed a good workout. I went again today and same hill in 4L and 2nd gear s and all the tires were kicking up sand and it climbed right up. I just got it a month ago so I'm still learning the ins and outs of it and best gear combinations for differing conditions. I don't think the previous owner took it off road much. I'm loving this thing off road. Some ARB Air Lockers would be great on this thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts