RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a debate amongst a group of friends after test driving the new Evoque. I was actually impressed by the ride, comfort, handling, etc. I'm a bigger guy (6' 240 lbs) and it was very comfortable. Because I was "impressed" by the vehicle, I took heat. I drive the full size rover and I wasn't expecting that before I test drove.

The debate was whether or not the Evoque was a "man's" vehicle. Some say that any crossover is for women. I don't see a problem with a man driving this vehicle. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer, if you like the car, buy it. I have driven a couple but wouldn't be caught dead in one. It's far too small for my taste coming from larger Range Rovers with room to stretch and haul things while traveling. As far as design it is pretty much the ultimate chick's car. There is absolutely nothing masculine about it in any way. It lacks the stately reserved presence of a Range Rover. It shows nothing manly in stance or delivery of a car that would be considered masculine. Really all it is missing is a Barbi sticker on the butt! With that said I have yet to see a male driving one.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I don't think Land Rover made it a secret that the Evoque was introduced to attract demographics that normally wouldn't visit a Land Rover showroom when shopping for a car... Women being a big chunk of those demographics I am sure, even though they didn't say it out loud. They even hired one as designer "consultant" to broaden its appeal with women! Although here in SoCal there are plenty of "trophy wives" behind the wheel of spanking new full sized Range Rovers and Sports, we must be the exception to the rule, as Land Rover owners - especially the loyal, repeat buyers - are usually guys.

In my unscientific poll (basically peeking at the driver whenever I drive by one...), I seem to see an even mix of males and females behind the wheel of the Evoque on our local freeways. The females don't look at all like soccer moms and the males all look younger than... me. As I said, unscientific.

Your friends are just jealous, screw them. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I think if you stay away from various shades of pink you should be ok...

pink+range+rover+evoque.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am the same way....if you like a car buy it. My argument was that there's no such thing as a guy or a woman's car. Well, some cars just say "woman" but it all depends. I've seen dainty, girly women drive big pickups and men drive Prius's. I wouldn't buy an Evoque because I've been spoiled by the larger RR but I wouldn't think of a guy one way or the other if I saw him in one. As a matter of fact, a guy a couple of neighborhoods over has a white one with black rims on it. Looks pretty sweet. And, yes, he is younger.

D

·
0 Posts
Surely if LR really wanted to sell these to women they would have made the rear view (whilst reversing) much better ?!.....

Anyway this item from ~18 months ago is 'interesting' in this regard....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpXNRxxkU8

Blah..Blah..."fashion-conscious....social-networking.... image.....Blah Blah "... all the usual empty marketing platitudes.... but, @ 3.30+... apparently suitable for Kings and Queens ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
165 Posts
Gimmicky toys like twisty shift knobs, paddle shifters, and electric e brakes appeal to the female and metro man market. However if your target demographic is loyal long term repeat buyers than less time should be spent on gizmos and more on timeless design characteristics and features that provide function as well as durability. Harley Davidson played this trendy game in the eighties and it almost bankrupted them. stick to what your good at and do it all the time. Look at Harley now that they have stuck to what they do best. Is the Evoque really the direction this company wants to go? These consumers are far too fickle IMHO.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Oh dear lourde. Harley was bankrupt far before the "gizmo" staging of AMF ownership. If it weren't for the AMF changes and upgrades Harley would be a memory much like Oldsmobile and Mercury. Then again the only reason Harley is still around is because of menopausal males trying to uplive some fantasy lifestyle from old movies. :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Evoque is a unisex vehicle. I see men as well as women driving these vehicles. I also see just as many women driving the bigger land rovers and range rovers as men, so who is to say. As many have already said, it is an individual choice and my choice was to purchase one. The design is a NOT girlie, it is sleek and modern. The size is "just right" for people who don't like to drive "trucks"that get 11 to 15 miles per gallon. You can throw darts at any vehicle if it is not your taste, that is why we are all individuals. This vehicle has won more awards after the first year of introduction than any other range rover product in history including "best design of the year" voted by predominately MEN. I am on other Evoque forums and I can tell you that the majority are males WHO love their vehicles. Comes down to individual taste.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
... NOT girlie, it is sleek and modern.
LMAO!! what sized batteries does this "sleek and modern" extention of life take?

Aplogies, far too easy especially after the latest round table with the local club. "It's a pussy car" said one long term member. As it has yet to be seen in this area with a male behind the wheel I would have to agree. It may very well be a metrosexual vehical. It certainly is not a "real" Range Rover outside of the mall crawl and parking lot troll.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Evoques are getting more predominent in the area where I live and they are all being driven by women.

In all fairness, my wife mostly drives around in our Range Rover P38 , but I also drive it at least once a week.

IMO the Evoque is really aimed at the fairer sex, I read somewheres that Victoria Beckham had alot of imput into the styling, I cant see myself ever buying one but I can see my daughters driving one.

I guess what I am getting at is that its OK for a woman to drive a mans car but not vice versa.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny....I ran into a guy at a Dallas gas station driving. He used to have the big Rover but says he wanted something smaller because he did a lot of city driving. Says the ride is so much more comforting navigating through busy, downtown traffic. I get that. I can see it being more of an urban vehicle. That also may be why they unveiled it in a commercial in downtown New York.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
If you can afford one, who cares?
At least it doesn't have the fake flower on the dash like a certain German car I could mention....Not that is taking it a bit far:doh:
I honestly dont care who buys them, as long as someone does. The more models RR sell, the longer they will be around to make other stuff for the "specialized" market. Hell, maybe even bring a reasonably priced "Defender" type model over here to the States (I know, dont hold my breath).
There are plenty of car makers that had to appeal to a totally different market in order to keep making their "core" vehicles.

Martin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well here in Naples you see a lot of full size SUV's driven by women including Cadillac escalade , Range Rover, and other Porsche cayenne and Mercedes G's .....I wouldn't be surprised if they drove Unimog's.........!
I don't see any problem driving an evoque .. It looks cool and its not a gas guzzler and now that you can get it with a solid aluminum roof it's even more appealing ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I forgot to mention that I see quite a few men driving Honda CRV's , fiat 500's and those square things Scion and other Nissan cubes ....

2006RR.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
8 Posts
My mates just ordered one with all the bells and whistles for hopefully pre xmas delivery.....His wife is a hairdresser...need I say more !!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
Well, we have both a Vogue SE and Evoque dynamic........Love them both.
We don't have a " his and her's, but I tend to drive the Evoque and she the Vogue.

Roy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts