RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I've been reading recent press in which they state that cars are being stolen through the use of a transmitter / receiver used fro m outside your home and which detects a code being transmitted from your car key fob inside the house. The thefts then use the code to open your vehicle and drive off with it.

My question is are vehicle that do not have keyless entry also at risk since I thought these did not transmit a code to the car unless the button is pressed on the fob?

If this is the case I can't believe the manufactures have not protected cars such that the code will only allow the car doors to be open but not the engine started unless the key is in the car, the two codes should be required so as to drive the car off.

If this is true and the car can be stolen how does one make sure they can walk round with their key in their pocket and somebody walking close by doesn't capture the key code?

Now placing car keys including spare key in a metal biscuit tin since I believe this should protect us, can somebody confirm?

Many thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,670 Posts
Let's start with the basics. You have not provided year and model for your Evoque. Some Rovers require the buttons to be depressed prior to any coding or transmission being made. Some Rovers transmit so that when you approach the vehicle it unlocks by proximity. The scenario and hyped press of code readers may not even apply to your vehicle.

As far as the key safes, gadgets on the market, OBDII signal jambers etc... I have no clue. Most of these types of things are marketed based on fear tactics and exaggerated data. We have a couple of existing threads on jambers and concerns with these readers in the other newer model sections. As far as I know, nobody here has installed any after market equipment designed to defeat these readers. The topic thus far has been more of curiosity than anything here. Where this was a big item in the news a couple years ago it has pretty much faded out of sight and out of mind.

·
Banned
1 Posts
The Range Rover Evoque is apparently very easy to steal and clone. There are many many many being stolen and sold in London. I recently bought an Evoque which has turned out to be a clone. Two Range Rover dealerships could not identify it was a stolen clone ...... Range Rover havent even replied to my emails and phone calls......... The DVLA , DVSA and Police tell me there is a MAJOR issue with these vehicles which the manufacturer needs to address.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts