RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a full sized 2010 HSE with 124k miles. Carfax shows the car was originally from California, then to Virginia and finally in NJ. Records indicate that it was dealer serviced regularly up until 84K. From there til 124k, nothing shows up. Obviously serviced at and Indy during that span. The car sounds and runs fine. I had a couple of misfire codes that seem to have vanished after a couple of fuel injector additive cleanings. I'm was hoping it had the timing work done. It may have been done during that 40k lapse of records. Is there any way I'd be able to ascertain whether or not it was performed with a visual inspection? At that mileage, what would some of you recommend i do as far as fluids go? My indy says not to mess with the tranny fluid as it's running well. I'm in agreement with that.
Thanks gents

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
Is there a green metal foil label on the front rail of the engine bay listing the Service Bulletins carried out? Mine has this.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check, but if the timing work was done at the dealer, I think it, too would have shown up on the report with all of the other scheduled services. If the work was done by an indy, I don't think it wouldn't be reflected on the foil label. But I'll check regardless. Maybe I'll see some other items that were done and aren't reflected on the report.
Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
869 Posts
If it sounds and runs fine, drive it! Timing chain issues are normally loud before anything major happens.

In answer to your question, no I know of no way to determine if the guides and chains have been replaced, short of seeing something the mechanic messed up once you get into it. In all probability, your guides are original.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Campaign labels are only applied by dealers when they have completed a TSB. If the work was done by an indie or DIY you would have to rely on there being evidence that the engine has been torn down and work completed. Look for minor scratches around bolt heads from removal and retorque. Obviously new gaskets or bits of super clean sealant showing are another sign. Likewise if the engine is dirty and the build up has not been disturbed it is a good sign no work has been completed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts