Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and then some more!!!

I went to start up my p38a yesterday, but the attery was flat. So I popped it on charge overnight and tried to start the old girl this afternoon.

I get a lot of beeping, gearbox fault, ABS fault, engine disabled etc.

The car will not start and just sits there beeping at me.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Gotta echo above post. had a similar thing to you. A new battery cured it, after setting windows, sunroof, coding the radio, blah, blah, blah......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same. Do you think I could get it to start from another vehicle through jump cables? I am wondering if there will be enough current.

·
Registered
678 Posts
In my situation like this, charging or jumping the old battery did not start it. I just swapped out a brand new heavy duty battery, and it worked. Don't go cheap on the battery, get a quality one. Hopefully that straightens it out for you.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Tried charging the battery for about 30 hours, still wouldn't start. Fitted new battery, and away it went.
These cars seem very picky on the power front.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. You are right. I could not get it going until I dropped in a new battery. This is the 3rd battery in as many years.

My car just chews them!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
BGMan

Just happened to be searching old threads and saw this.

I had to replace my battery every year for three years. When I put the third one in, I decided to find out why. The alternator was working but only partially charging.

It was running at 13.8 volts which I thought was OK. I asked an auto electrician. You need 14.2 to 14.4 volts to fully charge a battery.

Thus my batteries would last a year

To test, run the car at 2000rpm and measure your voltage across the battery.

Also check your grounds (see rave tsb about it)

·
Registered
264 Posts
iv found that if you let a battery go completely flat it can be enough to finish it off and kill a cell or 2 rendering it useless

·
Registered
77 Posts
Something like that happened to me, only it wasn't just time to get a new battery in my case. After installing a new battery and one month down the road, my RR sat for 1 week straight. I was walking up to the truck when I noticed the door locks making the noise like it was opening... over and over. When I went to start it up, nothing! The new battery wasn't my problem now. I started it up using jumper cables to my pick-up, set the windows, and this time EAS wouldn't work. Then the Christmas tree lights and beeps saying EAS Fault. My delay timer relay drained all the power. After replacing it, I never had a battery problem again. I now had to get the Rovacom-Lite to get rid of the fault. Dennis and Ron helped me big time through their articles on how to get the truck back up for the meantime. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts