RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 2000 miles I've had my 2010 HSE, I've had to add coolant a couple of times. I'd say about 2 quarts total. It recently got a new water pump prior to my ownership. At first I was assuming it was never topped off sufficiently or bled out enough. Now I'm thinking otherwise. No visible signs of leaking anywhere. No smell. Is there a common situation where the loss may be occurring from that anyone might recommend I check?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
best thing look at the bottom of the transmission bell housing for white crusty deposits.

Tthe water manifold on the back of the engine can leak but its hard to detect ,
but the tell tale may be on the transmission.
Also check the radiator side tank swages any white crusty deposits indicate leaking

·
Registered
346 Posts
Go to the autoparts store and buy some dye. Stuff is wonderful.

How many miles? Who put in the new waterpump and why? May have been a misdiagnosis.

I would add the dye, let it mix for a few miles and see what you find. If this is not fruitful do a pressure test. Last place to look is the headgasket - but let's wait on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a slow leak on my 2006 HSE like you describe and found the radiator was sweating on the side. Changed the radiator and it now seems tight. If you do replace it yourself, as I did, the two lessons I learned are:
1. The fan and fan shroud HAVE to be removed to get the radiator out despite claims by some that it can be done otherwise.
2. There are two bleed points and it is almost impossible to get the air out of the heater core when you refill it if you rely on bleeding the system only at the expansion bottle. The other one is on the engine under the plastic cover.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts