RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98MY 4.6 auto

Guys, I have a fault come up that says EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED (SMALL LEAK).

Has anyone has something similar and found the cause. Obviously there are pipes and hoses etc which all appear to be in good condition, all connected etc. I have removed the vacuum line, applied a little silicon grease to help the seal just in case. Clearly it isn't impacting on the drivability of the vehicle.

One thing I have noticed, there is never any pressure in the fuel tank. In OZ it is usual with any modern car to have a considerable release of pressure when undoing the cap. Mine never does that. Cap perhaps? A pipe somewhere I haven't tracked down?

Really just asking if anyone else has had this "small leak" message and if they found any issues to actually fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I understand it...the EVAP system applies a vacuum to the tank every 3rd? start and then the truck measures the amount of time for the pressure to relieve. There is an tiny orifice that leaks pressure at a measured pace. If it de-pressures slightly quicker, you get the "small leak" if it goes quickly (like mine!) you get "large leak". I'm not sure where my leak is either, but perhaps pressuring the tank from the filler could make it a little easier to find the leak. I read about a "smoke test"... I'm guessing you'd wave something emitting smoke near the lines and watch for escaping air pressure affecting the smoke pattern.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts