RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Esso trans oil green or honey? I heard it's green but bmw x5 owners who use vw/audi trans fluid says it's honey.

I am trying the drain and fill method of changing the fluid because I don't think the shop used the correct esso fluid. I asked them and all they will say is they used oem compatible. Well I think that is what is causing my humming noise. Can I do the drain and fill method if I don't know what fluid is in it already?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Confusion sometime arises because it's ZF transmissions with the GREEN type plate that use the LT71141 fluid.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As always thanks RRPhil. Do you think it's okay to do the drain and fill method and have fluids mix? And so any fluid from audi/vw/mercedes with lt71141 is the same fluid just different bottle right?

·
Registered
641 Posts
you'll always get a mix of fluids with the drain / fill method as it only really changes about 50% of the total fluid each time. I'd suggest doing 1 fill, run it for a short while ( i think it just ran it at standstill for a few minutes cycling through the gears whilst foot on the brake ) to mix it, then do it again. That way you'll have done 75% change. An then after that, drain/fill each year, or a certainly more regular basis.

The Esso stuff is honey coloured.

Dunno about the stuff from VW. I sourced the Esso stuff from an oil dealer here in the UK. Was definitely cheaper than any dealer stuff, plus I knew it was the right stuff.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Yes, all of these fluids are genuine Esso LT71141 :

ZF Lifeguardfluid5 (ZF p/n S671 090 170)
Audi / VW p/n G 052162 A1 / A2 / A6
BMW p/n 8322 9407807
Citroen p/n Z 000169756
Jaguar p/n JLM 20238
Mercedes Benz p/n A 0019892203
Peugeot p/n Z 000169756
Porsche p/n 999.917.547.00

The fluid capacity is 9.9 litres and, of that, you’ll probably be able to drain off around 6 litres at most. Therefore if you drain & refill once you’ll be running with 61% of fresh fluid, twice increases this to 84.5% and a third time would take you to 93.9% (assuming, of course, that it's fully mixed in-between). However draining & refilling 3 times means you’re effectively throwing away 8.7 litres of your new, very expensive, fluid :( . The only way to avoid this would be to hook the transmission up to a flushing machine – but maybe this would cost more than 8.7 litres of LT71141?

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts