RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i used to have 2018 RR TDI and have issue with adaptive cruise control, when I turn it on, vehicle stop with driver intervention warning message with sound, my dealer was not able to fix this and informed me land rover aware of this issue but does not have solution for this, and I ordered MY 19 and was hoping to fix this issue.
Last week my 19 arrived, and it's pretty much fully loaded HSE (MSRP 117000) diesel with driver assist package with steering wheel assist, when I test drive, it worked fine and I trade in 18 and drove back 19.
When I drove back, it give me same problem, give me warning message driver intervention and sound, it put automatic break, when it is high speed (45mph+) it works fine but it happen when it become low speed (20mph or below) I called dealer but he can only answer to me that land rover aware this issue and they cannot fix it now........... is anyone having same problem? it sometimes worked fine but after having issue, just keep having problem. I took video too... Will it be apply for Lemon law? I purchased two brand new cars (18 and 19) in 4 months and all having problem, they said it cannot fix now...

I appreciate any opinion, thanks!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
There is a deceleration threshold at which the vehicle will require driver intervention. I'm unsure whether it has to do with the limitations of the servo/actuator (technical basis) or maintaining reasonable expectations from the driver (human factors basis), but it sounds to me like both the MY18 and '19 are working as designed.

Does your owner's manual indicate that the functionality should behave otherwise?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used the ACC extensively yesterday under many different traffic conditions in my 2019 RR SC and it worked perfectly. Interesting you had issues with two different cars....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with packetpilot & mikemdd (I have a MY19 with Driver Assit on order) — perhaps I'm not understanding the issue -- does the drive intervention kick in immediately or after some time not touching the wheel? Could it be your roads? The system tracks using other vehicles and road markings. If other vehicles are not around it relies on road markings. Our XC90 seems to do the same and I'd think Volvo is more advanced than RR with Tesla being the best? If I’m understanding your issue correctly, you are saying at higher speeds the system seems to track better, but at lower speeds the steering assist stops and then turns into adaptive cruise? If so, that seems to be how the XC 90 functions at times... perhaps test on different roads, situations to get more data on when/where the system fails. This is all fairly new technology... even the Tesla's are not perfect... albeit better than the RR.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
We've had a few folks complain about ACC. Of course they always dredge up "My BMW...Porsche... Pinto....". In one case there was an update the dealer did and all was good. Two folks had no clue how to go through the necessary settings for smooth operation... operator error. They had no grasp of not to use ACC on winding roads or roads with lots of parked cars. They didn't know how to increase or decease speed or distance. Neither of them knew what the "follow mode" lamp meant so they panicked and shut down the cruise control "because the amber warning light came on".

OP: As far as lemon law, each state is different. Before taking that kind of action file a complaint with LRNA ,get a case number. They will contact your dealer saying "they can not fix it", educate them if necessary, and track how your individual case is handled. This usually gets the dealer to actually work in your best interest instead of being lazy penny pinching franchisee. If your dealer fails, it will be time to contact legal advice that specializes in your state's lemon laws. Once the dealer get a lemon law letter from an attorney... their tone sometime changes. If it doesn;t change, as a return customer, either the dealer will work with you or will work with LRNA on the the buy back process taking into to account anything your lemon law attorney can toss into the mix for lost time, rented cars etc.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I'm confused. Are you guys all talking about adaptive cruise control? I've had that on range rovers for close to 10 years now and I've never seen it pop up a "driver intervention required" message. How does that happen?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The new driver assist for MY19 includes adaptive cruise and steering. This would be equivalent to Volvo pilot assist and Tesla auto pilot.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
OP talks about this problem starting with a MY18 car.
besides, steering assist is what asks for intervention and not ACC, correct?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm confused. Are you guys all talking about adaptive cruise control? I've had that on range rovers for close to 10 years now and I've never seen it pop up a "driver intervention required" message. How does that happen?
Not that I'm actually recommending you do this, but hypothetically one could tail a car at some follow distance with adaptive cruise control on, and have the preceding car brake firmly.

The Ranger Rover w/ ACC active (a) may brake initially, or may not (the sharper the decel curve of the preceding car and the shorter the follow distance set, the less chances there will be an attempt at adaptive braking), (b) will whine at you to intervene, and, if you don't actually intervene, (c) about 0.8 seconds prior to unavoidable impact, will activate AEB which, according to the documentation, aims mainly to slow the vehicle down as much as possible prior to impact (as opposed to stopping prior to impact, although I'd guess in some cases it would stop prior to impact).

Regarding the last 0.8 seconds and what the true intent of the software is, it may well be to stop the car if it can, but I can see how they wouldn't exactly want to put that in the TOPIx documentation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Correction (emphasis added):
(c) about 0.8 seconds prior to unavoidable impact, will activate IEB (intelligent emergency braking) which, according to the documentation, aims mainly to slow the vehicle down as much as possible prior to impact (as opposed to stopping prior to impact, although I'd guess in some cases it would stop prior to impact).

Regarding the last 0.8 seconds and what the true intent of the software is, it may well be to stop the car if it can, but I can see how they wouldn't exactly want to put that in the TOPIx documentation.
Also, a good find regarding the forward alert and adjustment of its sensitivity (worth a shot regarding your issue):
The sensitivity of the warning can be changed using the gap increase and decrease switches when the adaptive speed control is not engaged. Confirmation of the gap change is given in the message center.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I uploaded some of my error video, ACC working fine in sometimes but when it start to happen, it just keep happening.
I was going to upload all, but one post can only attach one video, I will post couple more in separate post.

2019 error

And for those of suspect I do not know correct setting for ACC, I use it all the time, but just sometimes very randomly it start to have this error and driving me nut.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2019 error

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also attached 2018 model error,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It worked me great on first day and start to happen this 2nd day....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please check my video, it some times come right after, sometimes come bit delay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my MY 18 i used it for 1000+ mile with 80% of ACC with no problem, it's my 25miles one way commute, so it's always same road, and RRS loaner I drove with ACC for a week and did not experienced this issue. Setting is very straight forward and when it start to having this error, it just keep having it, but sometimes it does not (same car, same commute)
I drive to dealer and show service technician, and they just can't fix it, just said land rover aware of this issue and there is nothing they can do about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the input, i tried all sensitivity but result same..

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
try to disable lane keep assist and see if it still does this.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
618 Posts
This seems to trigger around 20 mph each time. Is there a lower speed limit under which the system cannot function properly? Northbound Kennedy? Painful drive in traffic. I don't miss that one.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
4 Posts
I have a very similar (if not exact) behavior in my 18.

When traffic slows to under approximately 20 mph, the Driver Intervene message appears and seemingly sudden braking (AEB?) is applied.
I usually engage the system with the Follow Mode gap at the lowest setting, expecting (according to the manual) that Queue Assist would bring the vehicle to a stop as traffic slows.

I haven't extensively changed the settings with Forward Alert, Follow Mode, and LKA to troubleshoot, but I assumed the behavior was due to operator error.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts