RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1996 p38 4.0, both my temperature and fuel gauges are acting erratically, the first shows car overheating ( even the red light comes on for few seconds) as I have just started driving in a blizzard.

The fuel gauge shows 1/4 of a tank when I just filled gas, but it corrects itself later as I am driving ( luckily not the other way around and risking running out of gas).

Is this a sensor issue? Or instrument panel one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
On a 96, you have loose connection issues most likely......
1- Check fusebox CAREFULLY for burn't connections, loose plugs on the underside, Burn't pins on underside coloured plugs. If it is the factory fusebox, it may be time for a new one

2- Bad earth connection. (Most likely) Get RAVE, find locations for earth points and remove, clean, and tighten ALL of them. The AC issue is a bit of a pointer for that one,

Beyond that, there are any number of plugs that could be causing issues, but start with the 2 above.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Do as Bolt says... if that doesn't help check this
another favourite is the plug under the expansion tank, various lines for the sensors are in there.
your tank could be simply a loose connector on top of the tank

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do as Bolt says... if that doesn't help check this
another favourite is the plug under the expansion tank, various lines for the sensors are in there.
your tank could be simply a loose connector on top of the tank
I have done that already.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1- Check fusebox CAREFULLY for burn't connections, loose plugs on the underside, Burn't pins on underside coloured plugs. If it is the factory fusebox, it may be time for a new one

2- Bad earth connection. (Most likely) Get RAVE, find locations for earth points and remove, clean, and tighten ALL of them. The AC issue is a bit of a pointer for that one,

Beyond that, there are any number of plugs that could be causing issues, but start with the 2 above.
Did that too, no luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Choice 2 did the trick after a thorough inspection, the only earth photographed on RAVE that I couldn’t find, was the one on the LH of the engine ( the photo looked alien in direct comparison to my engine 96 SE 4.0), but I am glad it was not the source.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Glad that is sorted!
Which of the many earth points do you believe was the culprit?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Bolt for the follow up.

I am suspecting the thick metal wire between the engine block and the chassis with an earth point on either end ( black one in photo) tons of road grime and dirt baked on, due to mixing with engine oil ( I have a slow oil leak).

The fuel gauge is still acting up though, so I am suspecting a sensor issue, thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts