RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I'm currently changing my complete engine due to cilinderwall cracking in nr 6. As I'm rebuilding I thought it would be a good idea to change some parts along the way. One of which is the belttensioner.
If you google the partnumber you'll come across some chinese manufacturers, but also a few posts on various forums. Some claim one can change only the pulley or even the bearing.
The bearing reads NTN 6302LH, easily available for around $10 or €8.

Does anyone know if and how it is possible to change the bearing in the pulley, OR does anyone know if the pulley can be obtained seperately.

Best regards

Olav

·
Registered
965 Posts
Pulley for the belt tensioner can be obtained separately. However, if it has been a while since you have last replaced the belt tensioner, it might be worth it to replace the whole thing. tensioner pulley by itself is around $15. Belt tensioner assembly as a whole is around $50.

I would go w/ Dayco brand stuff, as it appears to be the OEM supplier for it.

BTW, while you're at it, why don't you inspect the idler pulleys as well. In my case, I recently replaced the tensioner assembly because I was hearing a cricket-like sound caused by drive belt. Turns out it wasn't the tensioner pulley, but one of the idler pulley going bad.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Olav said:
Does anyone know if and how it is possible to change the bearing in the pulley, OR does anyone know if the pulley can be obtained separately.
The bearing is moulded into the pulley. It cannot be changed.

You can buy the pulley from Dayco (but not in Australia - it's not listed). You can buy them off eVilBay. I did last year - but the seller wouldn't ship to Australia so I had it sent to rrtoadhall. I picked it up when I visited him.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got a new tensioner pulley from the local Dayco agent over here and he sourced it from their Aussie branch - that was less that three weeks ago. It´s strange that they don´t list it on your side of the pond. Mind you it did cost me NZ$68 - well that was a lot better than paying NZ$190 for a complete tensioner assembly.

I also agree with the thought of checking/replacing the idler pulley - if one needs replacing it is probable that the other is due as well.

Now that I have my new tensioner pulley installed I am tempted to see if it is at all possible toi remove the old bearings - it´s going into the rubbish anyway so why not experiment. And if it does end up being destroyed then nothing is lost.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
21 Posts
This bearing can be replaced. Use the correct socket and knock it out backwards $10.00 us MAX.
Same with Idler bearing.
mine is 6203LAX30 NTN … Canada
I will change both bearings

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I've also changed just the bearings on various pulleys.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Just do it before the bearing seizes and the pulley starts to spin on the plastic. When I pulled my noisy pulley, I couldn't believe that this was happening. The bearing spinning had worn through the plastic hub and still functioning. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
If you are spending the money on the engine, it hardly seems worth changing a bear when the whole thing is reasonably cheap https://www.lrdirect.com/ERR6439-Tensioner-Polyvee-Belt-V8-New-Rr/ . OK, so you've got to add postage but even then I'd rather know the pulley and bearing aren't going to part company just when you don't need it to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts